Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I need opinions :) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-need-opinions-t105380.html)

carolaug 03-06-2011 03:45 PM

You may want to get the bobbin that goes to your machine and good thread....I like 100 percent cotton Gutterman and Sulky...I stay away from Clark and Coats.

Originally Posted by Lintu
With regard to bobbins, I didn't realize there was a difference in them! I've just been using the kind that come out of a dollar pack of pre-wound bobbins (I unraveled the plain white and wound my working color on). Hmm...

gal288 03-06-2011 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Maia B
Excellent colors and fabrics, serene! I'd love one just like it. I vote for variegated thread and stippling or something curvy to balance the geometry of the pattern. It's beautiful!

Agree variegated & curves. Great job!!

Heather Hayllar 03-07-2011 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by Lintu
Hi, I'm new here! I have just about finished a quilt top for my daughter's birthday (she's turning 1) and I can't decide how to quilt it. I'm debating between stippling and straight line quilting (with lines 1/4" outside each of the sashing seams). And I also can't decide what color would look nice for the quilting thread. I was thinking pale pink or pale blue if I do stippling, and gray to match the sashing if I do straight line.

Also...I'm getting something weird with my sewing machine. It's not that I get loops on one side whenever I sew---that I would know how to fix (tension)---but I'll get 5 normal stitches, then one that seems a little loose, then 8 normal stitches, then one that seems a little loose. Any thoughts?

Thanks so much :)

Like the quilt heaps!!
Personally I would use a deep rose or red to lift the colours from the quilt! Not sure about your stitches though sorry

atvrider 03-07-2011 04:35 AM

Very pretty. I love the fabric.

sandyo 03-07-2011 04:45 AM

I have seen many quilts lately that use a wide curvy line from one corner to opposite corner than repeat that curve to each edge. It is a wonderful look that does not seem hard. I have not had the chance to use it yet but would look great on your quilt.

janiesews 03-07-2011 04:49 AM

Pretty fabrics-nice quilt.

stitchin 03-07-2011 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by erstan947
Welcome from Louisiana. I think maybe a combination of quilting would be cute. When I have stitch problems I go back to basics. Change needle, re thread top and bottom thread, clean and oil (if it is the type to oil) and try out on scrap fabric. Have a happy Sunday:)

Try the above first! works for me

sandpat 03-07-2011 06:30 AM

I really like your little quilt. I guess I'm just different, but I would do a very simple straight diagonal cross hatchh all over the quilt and let that great fabric work for me.

Good luck fixing your machine...maybe its a needle problem.I've had that before and it behaves weirdly.

Jo Belmont 03-07-2011 07:27 AM

I have found 9 times out of 10 if my machine goes wonky with a stitch and all the tensions are within normal range, that it's the needle. You may not be able to tell if a needle has become bent even slightly unless you remove it, place it flat on a counter and bend down to see it eye level.

I like to sew with a #12, but sometimes even though going through thicker parts of certain fabrics (6+ thicknesses), that needle will bend (#14 doesn't) and then I got a problem.

After a while you get so "one" with your machine, you can almost tell from the purr that something's slightly out of whack. Most always the needle.

GramaLaura 03-07-2011 07:44 AM

Love your quilt! I like the straight line idea. My machine does the same as yours when I sew too slow and stop and start a lot. Can't wait to see your finished project :-D