Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: I need opinions :)

Hi, I'm new here! I have just about finished a quilt top for my daughter's birthday (she's turning 1) and I can't decide how to quilt it. I'm debating between stippling and straight line quilting (with lines 1/4" outside each of the sashing seams). And I also can't decide what color would look nice for the quilting thread. I was thinking pale pink or pale blue if I do stippling, and gray to match the sashing if I do straight line.

Also...I'm getting something weird with my sewing machine. It's not that I get loops on one side whenever I sew---that I would know how to fix (tension)---but I'll get 5 normal stitches, then one that seems a little loose, then 8 normal stitches, then one that seems a little loose. Any thoughts?

Thanks so much :)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Welcome from Louisiana. I think maybe a combination of quilting would be cute. When I have stitch problems I go back to basics. Change needle, re thread top and bottom thread, clean and oil (if it is the type to oil) and try out on scrap fabric. Have a happy Sunday:)

i spy some amy butler fabs there! ""drool""
    love the dark sashing too.
    nice job

I like it, maybe a strong Pink vs a pale pink for quilting as far as the stitches check the boobin, I find that when the boobin whines uneven my machine does the same thing just my two cents.

Blog Entries
    Lintu, your quilt is beautiful! Erstand947 gives you good advice. Iíve fixed issues by simply re-threading my machine, not sure why this works but it does. Another tip just go back to the most recent thing that youíve changed on your machine Ė that is where youíll find the problem. Hope this helps.

Blog Entries
    really like your quilt- what size block are those

Blog Entries
    I like to use verigated thread. I think a combo of stippling and straight would look nice. I think I would stipple the sashin, though, to make the blocks stand out and do the straight stitching in the blocks. That's just me but you asked!

cute quilt. how about a variegated thread pinks and blues. I would quilt some circles in the gray -- pick up on the pattern on the fabric. Then do either a meander or loops in the blocks. Or meander with hearts.

I like your quilt. Your daughter will love it.

Like your fabric and color choices! Amy Butler fabrics are so nice. I think your quilting plan sounds great. Be sure and post a pic when you get it finished.

Excellent colors and fabrics, serene! I'd love one just like it. I vote for variegated thread and stippling or something curvy to balance the geometry of the pattern. It's beautiful!

Easiest is to stipple in blocks if you want firmer quilt or to meander in blocks if you want softer quilt. SID would on sashing would hold down batting. I think pink thread since she is girl. Also remenber that you must quilt on top/blocks according to distance suggested by batting manufacturer. this should be listed on batting packaging. This will make sure batting does not seperate when washed.

Wow, thanks so much! So many replies so quickly :) I love this place.

Carolaug, those are 6" blocks. I'm using the Mixtape Quilt pattern from Oh Fransson in the "Favorite Songs" variation. I saw a FQ bundle of Amy Butler fabrics and just had to make something with it.

I love the idea of a deep pink or variegated thread for quilting, as well as putting some hearts into the quilting! I never would have thought of either idea.

I am hoping it's just a needle issue causing the weird stitches, since I'm switching to a machine quilting needle for the quilting anyways. I've rethreaded the machine a couple times and it doesn't seem to have helped.

I am hoping it's just a needle issue causing the weird stitches, since I'm switching to a machine quilting needle for the quilting anyways. I've rethreaded the machine a couple times and it doesn't seem to have helped.[/quote]

Did you try a different bobbin? That's worth a try also.

I even like your wood floor and wall paint :)

Very good suggestions for your darling quilt. I think wavy lines (if your machine does them) from the stitch selection would be cute on the diagonal in the blocks. Post your decisions so we can enjoy them! ♥

With regard to bobbins, I didn't realize there was a difference in them! I've just been using the kind that come out of a dollar pack of pre-wound bobbins (I unraveled the plain white and wound my working color on). Hmm...

Welcome. Its a pretty quilt!

Since you are a newbie, are you POSITIVE you have the correct bobbin for your particular machine??????

Blog Entries
    I found that when I use the invisible thread it breaks often...use the same type of thread for both the top and the bottom. I love the sulky thread for machine quilting. I also found that you want to make sure the bottom thread is pulled up though the top of the quilt. I have some links on my blog that may help. http://www.thriftyideastoday.com/201...-quilting.html
    Also make sure you have the right needle for the fabric you are using.

Blog Entries
    You may want to get the bobbin that goes to your machine and good thread....I like 100 percent cotton Gutterman and Sulky...I stay away from Clark and Coats.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lintu
    With regard to bobbins, I didn't realize there was a difference in them! I've just been using the kind that come out of a dollar pack of pre-wound bobbins (I unraveled the plain white and wound my working color on). Hmm...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Maia B
    Excellent colors and fabrics, serene! I'd love one just like it. I vote for variegated thread and stippling or something curvy to balance the geometry of the pattern. It's beautiful!

Agree variegated & curves. Great job!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lintu
    Hi, I'm new here! I have just about finished a quilt top for my daughter's birthday (she's turning 1) and I can't decide how to quilt it. I'm debating between stippling and straight line quilting (with lines 1/4" outside each of the sashing seams). And I also can't decide what color would look nice for the quilting thread. I was thinking pale pink or pale blue if I do stippling, and gray to match the sashing if I do straight line.

Also...I'm getting something weird with my sewing machine. It's not that I get loops on one side whenever I sew---that I would know how to fix (tension)---but I'll get 5 normal stitches, then one that seems a little loose, then 8 normal stitches, then one that seems a little loose. Any thoughts?

Thanks so much :)
    Like the quilt heaps!!
    Personally I would use a deep rose or red to lift the colours from the quilt! Not sure about your stitches though sorry

Very pretty. I love the fabric.

I have seen many quilts lately that use a wide curvy line from one corner to opposite corner than repeat that curve to each edge. It is a wonderful look that does not seem hard. I have not had the chance to use it yet but would look great on your quilt.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast