Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: I need opinions :)

Pretty fabrics-nice quilt.

Quote Originally Posted by erstan947
    Welcome from Louisiana. I think maybe a combination of quilting would be cute. When I have stitch problems I go back to basics. Change needle, re thread top and bottom thread, clean and oil (if it is the type to oil) and try out on scrap fabric. Have a happy Sunday:)
    Try the above first! works for me

Blog Entries
    I really like your little quilt. I guess I'm just different, but I would do a very simple straight diagonal cross hatchh all over the quilt and let that great fabric work for me.

Good luck fixing your machine...maybe its a needle problem.I've had that before and it behaves weirdly.

I have found 9 times out of 10 if my machine goes wonky with a stitch and all the tensions are within normal range, that it's the needle. You may not be able to tell if a needle has become bent even slightly unless you remove it, place it flat on a counter and bend down to see it eye level.

I like to sew with a #12, but sometimes even though going through thicker parts of certain fabrics (6+ thicknesses), that needle will bend (#14 doesn't) and then I got a problem.

After a while you get so "one" with your machine, you can almost tell from the purr that something's slightly out of whack. Most always the needle.

Love your quilt! I like the straight line idea. My machine does the same as yours when I sew too slow and stop and start a lot. Can't wait to see your finished project :-D

Your quilt is very pretty.

Whatever you decide on the quilting will be great. That is such a cute quilt. About your tension issue. Try completely rethreading the machine. Sometimes that will do it

Loved your quilt. I had the same problem with loops every so many stitches. My thread then began to shred.
    I put in a new needle size 11 and it solved both problems

I guess I will find out soon enough whether the needle is the culprit! I need to sew a quick seam down the backing, and then I'll be making the quilt sandwich. I'll use some scraps to see whether the new needle and thread solve the issue. Last night, sewing faster seemed to help fix the problem, though I shouldn't have to sew at rapid speed to have even stitches! Oh, and I measured the bobbin (I don't have the package anymore to see whether it was for my specific machine), and it did match at least in that regard to what my machine's instruction manual called for.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lintu
    Hi, I'm new here! I have just about finished a quilt top for my daughter's birthday (she's turning 1) and I can't decide how to quilt it. I'm debating between stippling and straight line quilting (with lines 1/4" outside each of the sashing seams). And I also can't decide what color would look nice for the quilting thread. I was thinking pale pink or pale blue if I do stippling, and gray to match the sashing if I do straight line.

Also...I'm getting something weird with my sewing machine. It's not that I get loops on one side whenever I sew---that I would know how to fix (tension)---but I'll get 5 normal stitches, then one that seems a little loose, then 8 normal stitches, then one that seems a little loose. Any thoughts?

Thanks so much :)
    check for little bits of fuzz, either in the bobbin area or where you thread your machine

I agree, change needle, rethread machine and oil.

Thread colour depends on whether you end up quilting the sashing separately from the blocks. A variegated thread could look really nice on that grey in particular, and you can get lovely threads which go through several pastel colours. Look at the Sulky Blendable range, for instance.

I hadn't planned to quilt the sashing separately, but rather continue whichever pattern throughout (either allover stippling or meander or straight lines).

Well, the thread will go over the sashing either way, and your sashing is a) darker than your blocks b) a single solid colour, so the thread will look different on the sashing to how it will look on the blocks. Do you have any thread sitting around that you could drizzle over the quilt, see how it looks?

Blog Entries
    Looking at all those beautifully done quilts makes me feel like hanging up my sewing machine. I'll never achieve the expertise it took to do them.

Quote Originally Posted by erstan947
    Welcome from Louisiana. I think maybe a combination of quilting would be cute. When I have stitch problems I go back to basics. Change needle, re thread top and bottom thread, clean and oil (if it is the type to oil) and try out on scrap fabric. Have a happy Sunday:)
    Ditto - sounds like a burr on the needle, which you oftenm can't see but the machine reacts to it nonetheless.

community benefactor p38flygirl's Avatar
    I think stippling would be great with a neutral thread..I also agree ,I would change needle,change bobbin, re-thread and check for lint...You may even have a bad spool of thread..

Lintu, I bet it's the needle. After 40 years of sewing, that happened to me just a while back. I had just changed the needle when it started skipping a stitch out of every 10 - 12. I emailed Bernina and they answered, starting with the needle. Since it was a brand new needle that was that last thing I could think of. I guess every now and then you get a bad needle. Good luck with the needle and your quilt is cute.

Blog Entries
    Very nice. I agree with something more than just straight lines in gray. It will show up more, straight line would work on the patterns. What are you comfortable doing??

Sounds like the needle needs changing. At the same time, clean the lint from the bobbin race and feed dogs and re-thread your machine when you put the new needle in. An oil every now and then helps as well.

Blog Entries
    You have a gorgeous quilt there! I personally don't like to do the quilting, so I try to make it as subtle as possible. I like the idea of a combo of styles and colors. If your daughter seems like the girly-girl type, I'd use the pink, otherwise whichever seems to compliment the quilt best. And I think rethreading the machine and changing the needle might help the stitch situation.

Love your pink and grey color combination. I think a combination of quilting stitches is a good idea, too.

Cyn
    Blog Entries
    Very nice!

When re-winding the bobbin, did it wind evenly and look as even and tight as the pre-wound ones? And sometimes the needle bar (the bar that holds the needle) can be out of adjustment. That would have to be fixed by a sewing machine tech. Good luck on your quilting journey--it looks like you are well on your way.

You know, I don't feel that the bobbin was wound as evenly as it should have been. I'm not sure why, but it just seems like the winder isn't doing a great job lately. Maybe it's something I'm doing wrong---I just got back into sewing after a couple year break.

I made the quilt sandwich and pinned it tonight :) Don't worry, I got those wrinkles out first ;)

[img]http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5096/...d5638a95_z.jpg[/img]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast