Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   i need some enthusiasm!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-need-some-enthusiasm-t195519.html)

terri bb 07-23-2012 02:03 PM

i need some enthusiasm!!

1 Attachment(s)
for the past 13 years my life has been hustle bustle stress more stress omg im going to pull my hair out stress, laughs, tears, and non stop chatter! for the first time it's silent! the last child has left for job corps, hubby is sitting outside relishing in the silence, reading his book on the front porch, and im looking at totes of scraps and endless things to finish AND start and thinking holy crap where do i begin!!! how on earth do you prioritize when you have several things on your plate? ive been down with yet again another surgery lately and all ive been able to do is doodle, draw, color, create on paper, and there are so many things in me head! and now, that i have quiet, birds, windchimes, and peace, the phone is not ringing, all i can do is stare at the pc screen of everyone else's pretty work and look at my bags on the floor! i think i need the white flag here! and to top it all off, we've been moving rooms around in our home, and i have a sewing room finally for the first time! here is a pic (not done yet!) and then there is me, in the middle of it, watching the crystals in the window! EEK!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]350954[/ATTACH]

twoxover 07-23-2012 02:12 PM

you need some time to decompress! that's all!!! grab a glass of wine, or tea and sit down and just ponder it all. and enjoy.....

my 18 year old (oldest) leaves for college in three weeks. her 10 year old brother is going to be devestated....

wesing 07-23-2012 02:24 PM

Do you know how you eat an elephant? One bite at a time. Pick yourself a small job and ignore everything else. Work on it til you're finished, then reward yourself. Once you have a couple of victories under your belt you'll find it easier to motivate yourself. You can also post your victories here and we'll cheer you on.

Darren

cheriami 07-23-2012 02:29 PM

Relax for a while and then grab whatever is on the top of the pile and do it until it is done.

Neesie 07-23-2012 02:43 PM

Try playing around with new blocks. Don't dwell on an entire quilt, just one block. When you finish that, you can either make more of the same or set it aside, for a sampler . . . and start a different block. If you set your goal as one block, at a time, then you get almost instant gratification! :thumbup:

Raggiemom 07-23-2012 03:12 PM

I agree, start with one of the smaller projects or something that doesn't require a lot of work to complete. Once you have a few things done, the pile won't seem so daunting!

hopetoquilt 07-23-2012 04:18 PM

I love the quilt on your wall. It always makes me a bit sad when a quilter doesn't have a quilt hanging in his/her quilting room. As for inspiration, it will come. Pick one small thing to achieve per day.

Suze9395 07-23-2012 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Raggiemom (Post 5388577)
I agree, start with one of the smaller projects or something that doesn't require a lot of work to complete. Once you have a few things done, the pile won't seem so daunting!

I agree, baby steps!

ibex94 07-23-2012 04:29 PM

Congratulations on having free time!! I'm envious, lol. If you are truly stuck for a starting point, make a project jar. Write your ideas on scraps of paper as you think of them. Drop them in the jar. When you are looking for a project and can't decide which way to go, pick a project from your jar. Put all the tasks in the jar, too. Do you want to fussy cut some fabrics? Do you want to color sort others. Are you looking for furniture to stash with? Do you need to sweep the loose threads out of the corner? Assign each to a piece of paper and let fate decide when you don't want to. Good luck!

momto5 07-23-2012 04:44 PM

Everything you're going through seems just about right to me......:)! Relax and try to just enjoy it while you switch gears. It'll be better!