Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: i need some enthusiasm!!

i need some enthusiasm!!

for the past 13 years my life has been hustle bustle stress more stress omg im going to pull my hair out stress, laughs, tears, and non stop chatter! for the first time it's silent! the last child has left for job corps, hubby is sitting outside relishing in the silence, reading his book on the front porch, and im looking at totes of scraps and endless things to finish AND start and thinking holy crap where do i begin!!! how on earth do you prioritize when you have several things on your plate? ive been down with yet again another surgery lately and all ive been able to do is doodle, draw, color, create on paper, and there are so many things in me head! and now, that i have quiet, birds, windchimes, and peace, the phone is not ringing, all i can do is stare at the pc screen of everyone else's pretty work and look at my bags on the floor! i think i need the white flag here! and to top it all off, we've been moving rooms around in our home, and i have a sewing room finally for the first time! here is a pic (not done yet!) and then there is me, in the middle of it, watching the crystals in the window! EEK!
    Name:  004.JPG
Views: 437
Size:  588.5 KB
    A rolling stone gathers no moss

Blog Entries
    you need some time to decompress! that's all!!! grab a glass of wine, or tea and sit down and just ponder it all. and enjoy.....

my 18 year old (oldest) leaves for college in three weeks. her 10 year old brother is going to be devestated....

Do you know how you eat an elephant? One bite at a time. Pick yourself a small job and ignore everything else. Work on it til you're finished, then reward yourself. Once you have a couple of victories under your belt you'll find it easier to motivate yourself. You can also post your victories here and we'll cheer you on.

Darren

Relax for a while and then grab whatever is on the top of the pile and do it until it is done.

Try playing around with new blocks. Don't dwell on an entire quilt, just one block. When you finish that, you can either make more of the same or set it aside, for a sampler . . . and start a different block. If you set your goal as one block, at a time, then you get almost instant gratification!
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

I agree, start with one of the smaller projects or something that doesn't require a lot of work to complete. Once you have a few things done, the pile won't seem so daunting!
    Heather

I love the quilt on your wall. It always makes me a bit sad when a quilter doesn't have a quilt hanging in his/her quilting room. As for inspiration, it will come. Pick one small thing to achieve per day.

Quote Originally Posted by Raggiemom View Post
    I agree, start with one of the smaller projects or something that doesn't require a lot of work to complete. Once you have a few things done, the pile won't seem so daunting!
    I agree, baby steps!

Congratulations on having free time!! I'm envious, lol. If you are truly stuck for a starting point, make a project jar. Write your ideas on scraps of paper as you think of them. Drop them in the jar. When you are looking for a project and can't decide which way to go, pick a project from your jar. Put all the tasks in the jar, too. Do you want to fussy cut some fabrics? Do you want to color sort others. Are you looking for furniture to stash with? Do you need to sweep the loose threads out of the corner? Assign each to a piece of paper and let fate decide when you don't want to. Good luck!

Everything you're going through seems just about right to me......! Relax and try to just enjoy it while you switch gears. It'll be better!
    If you feel like you're special...it's 'cause you are!
    Momto5

Transitions take time. Allow yourself to adjust to the empty nest. I mourned for a while, but then DH and I came to enjoy it. I did have to get a lively cat to add a bit of spice to our house...one that wants to play and craves attention.

Something that helps me when I'm not motivated is a deadline. Sign up for a swap on this board. Or make a small wall hanging or something to donate for a fundraiser. Make a baby quilt for someone due soon...whatever it takes to give you a deadline to work toward.

Sounds to me like you need to do something completely different for an hour or two...read a book (not quilt related), watch a movie, take a walk (early morning or late evening when it's not too hot)...then when you come back if you feel like starting something, go ahead, if not, go wash dishes...:LOL!
    legendarycandles.com
    Just discovered I qualify for FABLE (Fabric Acquired Beyond Life Expectancy)

Blog Entries
    Such a nice neat room to sew in...I usually take a tablet and make a list of what I need to do or even what I want to do then cross them off one at a time. Makes me feel so much better with crossed out items at end of the day. Works for me.

I am headed to your situation soon, so I am reading the posts with interest. I don't have the pre-stressers you mentioned, but after my knee replacement I have several months of therapy and no sewing machine time to deal with. I do have some hand applique waiting for that time and some good books to read....then I will be fidgeting until I can get back on both feet.

Enjoy your peace and quiet-inspiration will come when you least expect.I think we all need some down time on our hobby to recharge.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/Upnorthcrafter

Blog Entries
    It is so easy to get stressed out when you think of all the things you have to do; so don't think about them. Pick out one thing; if it's a matter of making up your mind; just grab something or have hubby help you pick. Then do that and you'll be started. Once you get started it's easier to keep going. I think most of us need jump started once in a while. I know that I do. It's like house work, when I look around and see all that needs to be done I just want to sit down and do nothing because it seems to over whelming but that gets me no where. Just start somewhere; baby steps. For the first time in over 40yrs I live in a house by house (since Sept) and now I really like it. In the beginning I was having grandkids to stay over alot; now I send them home so that I have at least one night to my self on my days off from work. Enjoy the freedom
    Judy

When I get into a mental "space" like you are right now, I try to do a little quilting every day. Recently have been making those little mug coasters (the four strips folded) kind. Yesterday I made three of them. I have a pretty good stack of them now, and will start making quilted table toppers. Have some double 9 patchs made up, just didn't want to start on anything big... The little mug coasters are bright and pretty and I just put them on an end table and when people come or go out the door, I say "help yourself if you want some"...

Blog Entries
    I agree with the glass of wine. Just relax for a week and then start very small so not to get overwhelmed. put each project in a tote and do the easy ones first. Baby steps on your new life. congrads to you. enjoy
    SMILE- it will make everyone wonder what you are up to.
    Stay strong and keep looking up.

It may feel to you that your "normal" life came to an abrupt halt and there's just a striking void in their absence with all the activity that was once there. A friend once said after her youngest left the home "i feel like i was forced into early retirement". This was said almost more like a question than a statement. I felt the same way but within 24 hours i had already started to notice there were some pluses involved also! I appreciated the slower pace w/ less stress and rush in my life. it sounds as tho your creative juices are flowing and there's no shortage of ideas/plans... so i think this lull is due to a sense of loss bc we are so used to being relied upon and needed for so much. it might be good for you to sign up for a class ...it'll get you out of the house ..offer a bit of social stimulation and has built-in deadlines. deadlines are good to get yourself moving! you can even resort to a self-imposed deadline such as to complete a quilty gift for someone by a certain date. BUT... waiting til you feel motivated is just as legit. it will come again...when you're ready for it.
    mea

Life changes are huge. Allow time for yourself to just "be". I just retired the end of March and although I love it, it has been a bigger adjustment than I had anticipated. Take long walks. Go into your sewing room with no pressure. Put on some favorite music, maybe a glass of wine or mug of tea. Look through some quilting books and patterns. Maybe play with putting a few fabrics together. You have so many things still going around in your head, that it's too much to expect room for the creativity to flow. Bet you'll be ready to so some quilting by the time fall rolls around. Enjoy your new found and deserved freedom.

I would suggest this plan, divide and conquer.....Now that you have your own room, organize the heck out of it. get all your thread together, sort thru every supply and notion you own, sort and organize. All you rotary cutters in an organizer. Then I would go thru all (every last piece) of fabric, sort by color, fold, put in plastic bins.....All your patterns together in binders.....Then and only then go thru your UFO's...there are going to be some you love and some you will wonder why you ever started.....Sort, keep the ones you love the most favorite on top, consider giving away the ones you hate either to a charity or the Goodwill (some one will pick it up and finish it).....
    Then and only then, start a brand new project. Pick a new pattern that is something you have never ever done, perhaps go buy just some new fabric for it and use some from your stash, the shopping expierence will be much needed therapy.....Tell yourself you are going to start and finish this one project.....set aside a time of day, perhaps after lunch and before dinner..... This should get your juices flowing....If it doesn't walk out of the room, close the door and wait for the day when you want to go back....it will come ....just give it some time