Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: I got so much done today!

Blog Entries

I got so much done today!

a few weeks ago, I bought a little mid-arm and frame. I have decided that I do NOT like machine quilting on a frame! Anyway, I put a quilt on it and basted it this morning. I'm very happy with how that turned out. I may just keep the darned thing around for basting!

I also got a lot done on my dragon fly quilt. I finally had to stop at 8:30 because my fingers and wrists are hurting! I'll probably be able to finish quilting it on my next big quilting day.

I need to get bindings on 3 quilts (4 soon enough!) but I'm so awful at it! I dread it. Oh well. I don't want to wait until December 24th to have to do them!!

Blog Entries
    I don't mind bindings at all. IT's the basting, spray, fusible batting or pinning. Hate it.
    Ohhh, dragonfly quilt. I want to see that one when it's done!!
    i got a Scottie Dog quilt spray basted today and have finished four other quilts that have been in waiting. So i'm on a roll. that is a very good thing for me.
    "From hence only infer that an Englishman, of all men, ought not to despise foreigners as such and I think the inference is just, since what they are today, we were yesterday, and tomorrow they will be like us"
    Daniel De Foe -The True Englishman

Don't give up on the mid arm and frame yet. There is a learning curve, and you may eventually be very happy with it. You probably will get to feeling more comfortable by practicing while you baste! Remember -- practice makes perfect!! Kathy

Wow! You really accomplished a lot today! Congratulations! I cut out a quilt today and have a quilt ready for binding. I love sewing on the binding because I can watch TV as I do the hand sewing. I do not enjoy pinning the quilt sandwich together.

Can't wait to see a picture of your dragon fly quilt.

Blog Entries
    I agree with Kathy. Like all of our new toys, it takes time to get use to them.

Blog Entries
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...88-340795.html

No, Im pretty sure I don't like the quilting machine!! It's very basic. Just a machine on a frame. I feel like I'm wrestling it. Wore me out just to baste! It wasn't fun at all! But it got the job done. I'm trying to decide if I want to baste the next one this way (I will also have to wait and see if I like quilting a quilt that's basted with thread)

Here's a pic of the one I basted. Not sure how I'm going to quilt it http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...88-312533.html

Blog Entries
    I think it is great! You need to keep going. Don't give up!!!
    A finished quilt excites me!! Whether is it mine or yours!

If you don't like removing the basting thread from your quilt, you might try basting with water soluble thread. Superior Threads has some called Vanish that is great for that purpose. Just wash the quilt after quilting and the basting stitches vanish!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dunster View Post
    If you don't like removing the basting thread from your quilt, you might try basting with water soluble thread. Superior Threads has some called Vanish that is great for that purpose. Just wash the quilt after quilting and the basting stitches vanish!
    I considered that. I might order some, but I haven't been near a store that carries it in a while! I'm trying to save my money (it all went into that quilt frame/machine!!!) and so I just used some serger thread. I don't think I'll mind too terribly cutting the threads, as long as they don't tangle up while I'm quilting. That's what I'm worried about! I did pretty good getting good, big stitches in rows about every 2-3 inches.

Blog Entries
    out of curiosity, what machine and frame do you have? i'm not in the market (yet) for one...but i always like to stay educated. what particularly DON'T you like about it?

Blog Entries
    It doesn't have handles on it, so I can't use it from the front. It's very heavy (aren't they all?). I probably need to clean my tracks out, but it rides pretty smooth. And my floors are most definitely NOT level!

If I could use it from the front, I think I'd like it a whole lot more. But it took me 2 hours to put the quilt on it, so I'm very tempted to get Red Snappers or something similar. For a small quilt (48 inches or less), I have a home-made version of them made of dowels. Found out the hard way it doesn't work on anything larger than the dowel! I also don't have anything for side tension (although I am going to get that taken care of today!!).

Driving from the back, I don't like being able to not see the quilt. Changing the bobbin, needle, etc is a pain. Threading the needle is an exercise in patience....

There's nothing wrong with the model I have (insert complaints about no handle bars here!!). I got an excellent deal on it, it's just not for me. I would LOVE to be able to use this bad boy as a table top machine and sell the frame. The cats love it!

Quote Originally Posted by AshleyR View Post
    I considered that. I might order some, but I haven't been near a store that carries it in a while! I'm trying to save my money (it all went into that quilt frame/machine!!!) and so I just used some serger thread. I don't think I'll mind too terribly cutting the threads, as long as they don't tangle up while I'm quilting. That's what I'm worried about! I did pretty good getting good, big stitches in rows about every 2-3 inches.
    I've tried a couple of brands, and Superior worked best. I bought mine at a quilt show, but you can also buy it online. I don't think it's sold in stores.

Blog Entries
    Thank you for the info!!

Quote Originally Posted by dunster View Post
    I've tried a couple of brands, and Superior worked best. I bought mine at a quilt show, but you can also buy it online. I don't think it's sold in stores.

Wow, I love that dragonfly quilt, so pretty!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

Glide is also a great quilting thread and reasonably price.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/Upnorthcrafter

golly, at 8:30 I was still in dreamville. When finished please post photo of dragon fly quilt

Blog Entries
    Finish? You're supposed to finish them??!

Quote Originally Posted by ellifour View Post
    golly, at 8:30 I was still in dreamville. When finished please post photo of dragon fly quilt

I love machine quilting, because I don't have to baste it. The rollers stretch the fabric out straight and hold it taut while you quilt! I love it, but don't have one now. Wish I did. My mother had one and I quilted on it for her. She is gone now, and the quilting frame and machine were sold before she died. Just hang in there and you will get to love it!