Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I need your expert opinion please :) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-need-your-expert-opinion-please-t228402.html)

Lovequilting22 08-20-2013 04:30 PM

I need your expert opinion please :)

Hello everyone,

If you have a moment, would you please tell me if you baste, spray or pin your quilt sandwich and why you chose your preferred way? I am in the process of quilting a baby quilt (my first) but I am getting stabbed, scratched and beat up by the pins I used to hold it in place. This is the way I was taught, but I know there are other ways and I want to be open to them, but would appreciate you sharing your experiences. Thanks so much. :)

Monika 08-20-2013 04:35 PM

Although I don't claim to be an expert, I will share what I do. I pin. All my pins have the little "jackets" and I use the Kwik clip tool. Never have pin pricks, it is quick and I don't get bunching on the back.

I do spray small things sometimes, but I don't like the fumes and mess so I don't do it often.

DOTTYMO 08-20-2013 04:40 PM

You need to use bent safety pins designed especially for basting quilts or just tack all over in 4 inch squares.

For a baby I would not use glue. Straight pins are not for basting.

Misty's Mom 08-20-2013 04:49 PM

I spray baste all mine after I learned about 505 basting spray. Will never pin again.

Dina 08-20-2013 04:52 PM

You can buy the bent safety pins at Wal-Mart, or at least that is where I got mine. MUCH better than straight pins! Ouch!!

Dina

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 08-20-2013 05:04 PM

I spray baste for the most part. I generally toss in a few safety pins near the edges.

As far as people worrying about the spray basting being a chemical, I figure by the time it's washed a couple of times there won't be any more chemical from that than all the other stuff used in the manufacturing process.

I HATE to pin baste an entire quilt. I can't seem to use a closer tool properly and end up wearing all the skin off my fingers. While quilting, removing pins is a bother, too.

Tartan 08-20-2013 05:14 PM

I used to safety pin my sandwich but I always got a wrinkle in my backing that way. The 2 methods I use now are: Hobbs 80/20 fusible quilt batt or 505 spray basting. The Hobbs is ironed to make the quilt sandwich to get it ready for machine quilting. The 505 spray is used to spray on both the backing and quilt top to baste it to a quilt batt.

QuiltnLady1 08-20-2013 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 6246181)
I used to safety pin my sandwich but I always got a wrinkle in my backing that way. The 2 methods I use now are: Hobbs 80/20 fusible quilt batt or 505 spray basting. The Hobbs is ironed to make the quilt sandwich to get it ready for machine quilting. The 505 spray is used to spray on both the backing and quilt top to baste it to a quilt batt.

This is what I do athugh I do put pins on the corners just to make sure they don't fold over. I have problems with my hands and so I pin as little as possible.

Lovequilting22 08-20-2013 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by DOTTYMO (Post 6246099)
You need to use bent safety pins designed especially for basting quilts or just tack all over in 4 inch squares.

For a baby I would not use glue. Straight pins are not for basting.

Ah, now there's a thought! Curved pins.....hmm.....I will have to checked into that. See? I didn't know that straight pins were not for basting. Thus the reason for soliciting your opinions! :).

Lori S 08-20-2013 05:25 PM

One of the best tings I discovered was spray basting, love it never looked back!