Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I need your help, opinions on this. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-need-your-help-opinions-t61492.html)

Holice 08-26-2010 01:15 PM

I agree with those suggesting to frame it. Your initial post indicates some history behind the piece. Is it a family heirloom. I am scared of the phrase "do something with it". If it does have value then doing anything other than frame it will decrease it's value. What obligation do you have in working with it? Since we don't know the history as you say in your initial post, it is difficult to give an informed opinion. Sometime projects like this comes back in a negative way in the future. If it does have value as a textile then someone in the future might say that it has been "defaced". You are doing this for someone else. Is this correct. Then I might return it to the person and suggest they have it professionally framed to retain it's historical and sentimental value. My opinion.

jljack 08-26-2010 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts
I agree frame and don't touch. I really like it.

Count my vote for this one!

Twilliebee 08-26-2010 01:33 PM

I agree with Candace. It's a beautiful piece and if it has even sentimental value to the owner, and it appears to, I would preserve it intact. You might also be able to have it attached to a light canvas stretcher frame, assuming you can have it treated to protect from dust and sunlight. Without prying, is it possible to tell us where it originated? Hope if you do have it framed or otherwise preserved we get to see the finished product. It's really quite wonderful.

CarrieAnne 08-26-2010 01:37 PM

I would frame it as well!

Jim's Gem 08-26-2010 03:28 PM

I too would have it professionally framed.

maryb119 08-26-2010 03:44 PM

have it framed by a professional.

martha jo 08-26-2010 04:12 PM

I took a course with EGA sometime ago about how to handle textiles and was taught not to put any textile under glass period. Maybe the rules have changed. I went to a professional framer and he taught us how to prepare textiles for framing with using acid free products and stitching them onto padded acid free board and then mounted them in frame. We were taught to use a damp white cloth to clean periodically. This would be gorgeous mounted this way.

bjnicholson 08-26-2010 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by sahm4605
I would frame it. while finishing it off would be wonderful I wouldn't. I think that unless it was made by a family member, it wouldn't be right to add to it. Especially since it seems to have at least sentimental value. But this is just me. If you frame it I would either type out or if you have great handwriting, write the story behind it and then have that frames with it.

This is what I think also.

Candace 08-26-2010 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by martha jo
I took a course with EGA sometime ago about how to handle textiles and was taught not to put any textile under glass period. Maybe the rules have changed. I went to a professional framer and he taught us how to prepare textiles for framing with using acid free products and stitching them onto padded acid free board and then mounted them in frame. We were taught to use a damp white cloth to clean periodically. This would be gorgeous mounted this way.

I think seeking out an expert textile archiver would be the best bet. I don't think this is a job for anyone other than a professional. They'd have the right materials to preserve it correctly. It very well may be that glass is a no-no.

littlehud 08-26-2010 05:25 PM

It is beautiful. I would let a pro handle it. You want to preserve it and not harm it's value.