Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I Played, Then I Paid! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-played-then-i-paid-t239037.html)

RavenLunaStitch 01-19-2014 09:26 AM

Great find! I LOVE that you carry a layer cake around! Now I don't feel (too) weird for carrying charm packs in my purse! :p

Taughtby Grandma 01-19-2014 10:26 AM

We probably won't hear from you for a while, you'll be playing with your new machine! Congratulations on the great find.

quilterpurpledog 01-19-2014 11:13 AM

I bought a 401A in 1959 and still have it and use it regularly and I would not trade it for anything else I can think of. I also have and love my Bernina machines but that Singer-no way. I also thing you got a great deal where it has a cabinet. I have the cherry desk cabinet with mine and it is so comfortable to use. Have fun and I know you will love it.

lswan 01-19-2014 11:30 AM

Great Machine! There is a vintage Singer yahoo group that has all sorts of hints and info on it. I own two.

JanieH 01-19-2014 12:52 PM

What a wonderful day for you!

And what a great idea to carry fabric and an emergency sewing machine with you. I will have to put one together for my purse!

jcrow 01-19-2014 01:28 PM

I received a Singer 401 Slant O Matic for Christmas last year and I love it. There's an antique shop in town that caters to women and has lots of old sewing machines. The woman is very picky in what she buys. She travels 8 hours to have them gone completely through and fixed up as good as new. I stop in once a month and drool. She usually carries 301s and 401s and Kenmores and Elnas. She has some I've never heard of, but she doesn't carry Featherweights for some reason. She said the 301 was as good as a Featherweight and almost as light. I almost bought it, but this 401 came with so many feet and the original manual and lots of the original things. I love it. But, I was going to use it for classes and it's still too heavy. I need that 301.

tessagin 01-19-2014 01:32 PM

It sewed through 4 layers of denim. That was the layer cake. Sewed then sold! Dh mended the bottom of his denim jacket yesterday morning. I woke up to a buzzing sound. He said I did good. Like I didn't know. LOL!

Originally Posted by quilt addict (Post 6518373)
Great for you. Did you buy anything else? When ever I am going to sales or garage sales, I have a little kit in my bag with fabric, thread and a sewing machine needle. You never know when a machine will call to you. And maybe if it is not sewing well, you can get them to discount the price.

tessagin 01-19-2014 01:35 PM

My 401 had everything the manual said it was suppose to have and I've tried all the feet and special discs (5). Prettiest stitches I've seen in a long time.

Originally Posted by jcrow (Post 6522043)
I received a Singer 401 Slant O Matic for Christmas last year and I love it. There's an antique shop in town that caters to women and has lots of old sewing machines. The woman is very picky in what she buys. She travels 8 hours to have them gone completely through and fixed up as good as new. I stop in once a month and drool. She usually carries 301s and 401s and Kenmores and Elnas. She has some I've never heard of, but she doesn't carry Featherweights for some reason. She said the 301 was as good as a Featherweight and almost as light. I almost bought it, but this 401 came with so many feet and the original manual and lots of the original things. I love it. But, I was going to use it for classes and it's still too heavy. I need that 301.

stillvnu 01-19-2014 02:28 PM

I inherited my mother's Singer 500 Slant-O-Matic when she passed. I first learned to sew on that machine in 1961. Your post brought back memories of the amazing things that were made on that machine ... prom dresses, wedding dresses, baby blankets, school clothes, etc. I need to get it to the repair shop and have it serviced and start using it again.

Originally Posted by tessagin (Post 6518071)
An estate sale for a designer was postponed until today. I thought Ok lots of fabric. I knew there was a sewing machine for sale but figured it was outrageously priced and would be gone when I got there. The sale began at 7:00 a.m. I didn't get there until almost 9:30 a.m. Just wandered around and saw a lot of people I knew and stuff. Then I walked into the designer's sewing room. A Singer 401A Slant-O-Matic in a cabinet. $200.00. I always carry a Layer Cake in my purse just in case. The sale mgr said to go ahead and work it. I had never worked a 401 before. It came with all attachments and bobbins. Another gal gave me some tips and I played then I paid. I got it for $150.00. The sale mgr is going to deliver it to me after the sale since she lives in the area as I do. This cabinet is in great shape and the machine looks brand new. I've been re-organizing my sewing room some what to make room for my new baby. Will post (try to) after it's been set up. I really thought the machine would have been sold by the time I got there but it was just waiting for me. I am ecstatic. It probably is more machine than I need but for the price and the cabinet. Have not looked at all the feet but there's a lot. Again will try to post photos later. I also have to take back what I said about sewing machine deals down here. I found one. Yayyyyyyyyyy meeeee!

cowgirlquilter 01-19-2014 02:49 PM

It was all meant to be...can't wait to see the pretty things you make with your new machine!!!!!