Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I read before I cut - but then I read some more - now what? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-read-before-i-cut-but-then-i-read-some-more-now-what-t221217.html)

meyert 05-11-2013 06:21 AM

I read before I cut - but then I read some more - now what?

Ok.. I have been reading what I feel is quite a bit on quilting. I have done a fair amount of quilting as well. I have had the 1/4" seam embedded into my mind. I am starting memory quilts for my sister with my nephews clothes (jeans, jacket, shirts, ect..) I have made all of plans and started to cut. Then recently I was reading some posts on denim quilts.... and since I have some denim that I will be using I read through most of the thread. There were a couple comments about using a 1/2" seam instead of the 1/4" seam - ugh. I already have my cuts made.. based on a 1/4" seam. So I can't really go back. What should I be prepared for now that I have to use the 1/4" seam allowance? Is there something that I should do to make the 1/4" seams work easier? Please let me know

DebraK 05-11-2013 06:43 AM

maybe reinforce the seams with a second row of stitching?

edited to say: oops i didn't read your post correctly. I thought you were worried about it falling apart, not ease of sewing. Sorry.

MartiMorga 05-11-2013 06:50 AM

How about Fray Check on the denim?

ArtsyOne 05-11-2013 06:58 AM

After sewing the 1/4" seam, I would sew 1/8" from the seam on the wrong side of your block. Denim is notorious for unravelling when washed, so this would give you some insurance against that.

BellaBoo 05-11-2013 07:06 AM

You could try using a double needle and save time. I would split the difference and sew a 3/8" seam using the cuts I had.

DebraK 05-11-2013 07:07 AM

That's what I was thinking.

meyert 05-11-2013 07:12 AM

Thank you for your replies.. so maybe all is not lost :thumbup: I may take all of the suggestions. I will sew the 1/4" and then the 1/8" as well. (I think my new machine my have the double needle set up - I just have never used it) I have used fray stop before, and I would rather take the time now and use it because I would hate for it to unravel and come apart.... I am still a little concerned about the bulk if I do 1/4" and 1/8" sewing...

CarolynMT 05-11-2013 09:16 AM

You could always use a serger to piece denim, a serged seam if set up properly should do a 1/4" seam and will protect it from unraveling.

dunster 05-11-2013 10:13 AM

1/2" or even larger seams are usually used for rag quilts. Was that the case in the thread you were reading? Maybe 1/4" is fine for what you're doing, particularly if your quilting lines are close enough to prevent seams from opening.

meyert 05-11-2013 10:14 AM

A serger is probably a good idea, but I don't have one. I just recently was able to pull the money together to get a good sewing machine.... maybe I will keep a serger in mind