Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I scored today at Habitat for Humanity ReStore (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-scored-today-habitat-humanity-restore-t237119.html)

KalamaQuilts 12-21-2013 09:42 AM

I think ReStore started out as building components after remodels etc. It is where I'd go if I needed some windows or fencing. I'll I've ever seen inside was pretty grubby junk. The store is in a pretty small space, maybe that's why

kay carlson 12-21-2013 10:10 PM

Our ReStore has really grown much larger and more attractive with each year. Items are displayed nicely and there are large, separate areas for the goods.

Yesterday, I discovered a newer area set up to display Christmas decorations, skiing equipment, plumbing supplies, and misc. tools. This store is also a recycling center for t.v.'s, computers, household batteries, and cell phones. A truly gorgeous set of fine china with numerous serving pieces was on display behind the cashier's counter. No clothing is carried for resale. There were some nice pet kennels for sale, too.

Happy hunting and supporting your quilting habits!

gale 12-21-2013 10:33 PM

The closest ones to us are just over an hour away. I bought a few windows for our chicken coop at them (had to go to both to find what I needed) and that was a great deal. I didn't have much time to look around at the time-I'd like to go back someday.

Sandygirl 12-22-2013 03:42 AM

Re-stores can be found where the the local Habitat for Humanity is very active and has lots of volunteers. Not everyChapter has the means or volunteers to support a Re-Store store. I sat on the Board of our local HFH for 3 years. I had to step down because that organization is incredibly labor intensive and time consuming. I still work full time and travel for my job. My husband is on the Board and is also the House Build foreman. We head to the newest house blessing later today, in fact.

i would love to see a photo of your treasure!

Sandy

Sandygirl 12-22-2013 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts (Post 6467385)
I think ReStore started out as building components after remodels etc. It is where I'd go if I needed some windows or fencing. I'll I've ever seen inside was pretty grubby junk. The store is in a pretty small space, maybe that's why

Volunteers are always needed to help with the HFH organization/Chapters.

Sandy

Amythyst02 12-22-2013 04:10 AM

Just "binged" them here, will certainly have to make a trip over there and check it out...

ShirlinAZ 12-22-2013 06:59 AM

Don't forget to check the ReStore for other things too. I needed chairs DH could sit in after back surgery (couldn't roll or recline) and I found 2 in excellent condition for $5 each. Bought both. When he is through with them in the house they will go on the patio.

ArtsyOne 12-22-2013 07:36 AM

Our two local ReStores seem to have only building and construction materials, darn it!

mumzer 12-22-2013 08:18 AM

Love going to thrift stores. Find wonderful deals .

JoyceHoopes 12-22-2013 09:04 AM

Our ReStore near Wilmington, DE has beautiful furniture (some antique) as well as the construction/remodel supplies. Now that I know some carry quilt supplies as well, I really do need to make a trip there.