Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I scored today at Habitat for Humanity ReStore (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-scored-today-habitat-humanity-restore-t237119.html)

kay carlson 12-20-2013 05:53 PM

I scored today at Habitat for Humanity ReStore

We were dropping off household items at the ReStore today, so I "just went inside to browse." Low and behold, I found a folding sewing table with cut out for a free arm. It's in excellent condition and cost a mere $15.

If you have a ReStore in your area, you might also check it out for sewing machines. Our local store had portable free arms, vintage flatbeds, etc.

I'm off to my playroom to set up the second machine I own on my new-to-me table. :-)

ILoveToQuilt 12-20-2013 06:01 PM

My local ReStore had a few Singer machines (one of which didn't work) and quilt books and patterns. Definitely worth checking out if you have one in your area.

Congrats on your "new-to-me" table!

Anita

Jo C 12-20-2013 06:13 PM

I LOVE the ReStore! I got a 1975 Kenmore for $35....its my favorite machine. Also got a 1960s machine in a cabinet for $50. The machine works, but i don't need it. I really only wanted the cabinet. So the machine came out and is going back to the ReStore. I have a hard time when i go because they always have a bunch of sewing machines.

Jeanne S 12-21-2013 04:17 AM

I had never thought to look at the ReStore for sewing items--this is such a great organization, thanks for the reminder!

GailG 12-21-2013 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by Jo C (Post 6466559)
I LOVE the ReStore! I got a 1975 Kenmore for $35....its my favorite machine. Also got a 1960s machine in a cabinet for $50. The machine works, but i don't need it. I really only wanted the cabinet. So the machine came out and is going back to the ReStore. I have a hard time when i go because they always have a bunch of sewing machines.

What is that '60s machine?

cowgirlquilter 12-21-2013 06:49 AM

How exciting....off to find the Restores in my areas!

mighty 12-21-2013 07:07 AM

Very cool, I will have to check that out!

Mariposa 12-21-2013 07:19 AM

Congrats on your great find!

mpspeedy2 12-21-2013 07:46 AM

I never heard of a Restore in our area I am assuming it is the equivalent of our Good Will or Community Thrift store. I don't need anything but it would be a good place to shop for some sewing related items for my daughter. I had to laugh yesterday. We were in a Antiques and Collectables mart and I found a Singer Featherweight for just #129.00. I have a much better one that I found at a yard sale for just $20 bucks about ten years ago. My mother actually purchased one new in 1930 something for $135. She must have saved for years as she only got paid $7 a week at her job at the time. I live in Maryland just south of Hanover, PA.

joyce888 12-21-2013 08:23 AM

Good for you. We always donate to ours and I have found many useful items - a full set of upper and lower kitchen cabinets that we installed in the garage for storage.