Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I Was Selfish at the Fabric Store (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-selfish-fabric-store-t180185.html)

KerryK 02-21-2012 12:28 PM

That's not being selfish, that's being smart!

katydidkg 02-21-2012 12:36 PM

I cannot believe the cutting lady just took the bolt ! I'm glad you spoke up or your fish may have swam upstream ! LOL

crafty pat 02-21-2012 12:53 PM

You found it first so you should have the first cut.

justflyingin 02-21-2012 01:26 PM

I don't really think it was selfish of you. If you were the first one to have it in your hands with a certain amount that you intended to buy, then it was selfish of her to assume that you didn't need what you needed.

I don't think I'd spend too much time thinking about it or feeling guilty. I'm glad you didn't let the cutting clerk 'use you' that way. I would have felt totally bummed if I needed/wanted a certain amount and someone basically took it out of arms, took what they wanted and I was left short--when I had done the searching for and holding the bolt.

The other lady could have the store clerk check and see if other stores in the area had any.

Any sale is "first come, first served". Once I had a deluxe Scrabble game put aside at a yard sale. Unfortunately I put it down and someone else didn't realize I had meant it to be with my stuff--(I had put it close to me in my 'pile', but turned my back). I didn't see that it was gone til too late and then I didn't feel like making a stink, but to this day I feel like I had chosen it, put it down by me, but didn't notice, because you know how yard sales are.....

So good for you!

jaciqltznok 02-21-2012 01:31 PM

I don't think you were being selfish. If I had been cutting the other lady would have had to wait until you got yours because YOU brought the bolt to the table...some people...no manners...

athomenow 02-21-2012 01:44 PM

That's why I use a cart and don't put them down until I'm ready to have mine cut. It's a battle out there sometimes!

Cagey 02-21-2012 02:05 PM

We need to stand our ground. Way to go!

SouthPStitches 02-21-2012 02:11 PM

Believe it's the sign of the times.....little or no consideration, let alone politeness for others or so-called "rules". You were definitely right, no doubt about it. Not long ago I was in a very small quilt shop during a sale (that I didn't know was going on until after I got in there or would never have gone), and before I got out of there, a couple of ladies were fortunate I didn't whomp them in the back of of the head with a bolt, after shoving me and other, stepping on my feet three times... just totally oblivious to anything but there own desires.

mltquilt 02-21-2012 04:03 PM

I don't consider what you did as being selfish. IMHO the person that found the material first gets their cut, then anyone else can have what they want off the bolt. I always as if I can have the bolt when they get their cut is someone has some fabric that I would also like.

mltquilt

momto5 02-21-2012 04:40 PM

She was lucky...I'm not only selfish, I have been known to get nasty if the situation was right...