Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I Sure Need Some Advise (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-sure-need-some-advise-t204020.html)

wendiq 10-23-2012 07:39 AM

I Sure Need Some Advise

I have just finished a flannel rag quilt and need to wash it......gonna be lots of shedding. Do you think I can use a landromat washer and dryer? I am totally afraid to use my own as I am sure it will clog the drain. I am convinced I will never do this again. I already feel guilty....any advise or experiences will be greatly appreciated.....:)

Deborahlees 10-23-2012 07:47 AM

ok...............no worries, it is NOT THAT BAD......
I have always used my own with no problems at all.....
I am assuming you rag cut all your edges.....
So first what I do is take it out side on the lawn and shake the he... out of it, that gets rid of some of
the threads, next wash cold, gentle in your machine....that loosens up the rest.....now into the dryer
thats where you are going to get the most, I went back to my machine about every 10 minutes, stopped it
and removed the lint filter, and cleaned, started again, went back again....that way you have nothing to be worried
about, pending on the size of your quilt, you MAY, want to wash and dry again......but not really necessary....
These are great quilts for young children, if you give as gifts, just tell the parents to wash and dry expecting some lint for the first couple times.....then it does stop !!!

quilt addict 10-23-2012 07:57 AM

I prefer to go to the laundry matt to wash mine the first time. But I have also done it at home. Follow Deborahlees' advice about cleaning out the lint trap in your dryer.

cjsews 10-23-2012 08:05 AM

Yes, I prefer to use the laundromat the first time. I do warn the attendants they will need to clean the dryer lint traps. After that I wash at home but still watch the lint trap as there will always be fuzz.

Jingle 10-23-2012 08:08 AM

I have thought of the fluff too. One day I may make one, I seem to pick out something else.

quiltstringz 10-23-2012 09:09 AM

I have always (after the first time) taken mine to the laundromat. The first time I did it at home and had just gotten a new washer - I didn't realize that a lot of the new ones didn't have lint catchers. Needless to say the repair man was wondering what in the heck I was doing when he came out with a large handful of strings. I was like "just washing" don't know what happened

ragquilter 10-23-2012 09:13 AM

Baby and lap quilts I do at home but anything bigger goes to the laundry mat.

wendiq 10-23-2012 09:29 AM

So many suggestions.....Thank You. These are both lap sized.....was suppose to be one, but I have decided that it would be way too large so divided it up into a large and a small lap quilt. I have already run them through the dryer on air just to loosen the excess threads. I may try to wash the smaller one and then dry as Deborahlees suggested. I'm really nervous about this......You guys to the rescue are great!!!

Toni C 10-23-2012 09:29 AM

Oh yes always go to laundry mat. Most people don't realize how much these lint they throw off during washing. My drain pump went out-I never realized it had a lint trap. Though it's hard to get to and quite a bit of water hits the floor when I found out and checked it was almost completely plugged with lint.I now have left off the bottom panel so I can get to it and clean.Commercial washers have a filter easy to clean. Also never thought about the lint in the septic system until brought up on this board.

humbird 10-23-2012 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Deborahlees (Post 5606403)
ok...............no worries, it is NOT THAT BAD......
I have always used my own with no problems at all.....
I am assuming you rag cut all your edges.....
So first what I do is take it out side on the lawn and shake the he... out of it, that gets rid of some of
the threads, next wash cold, gentle in your machine....that loosens up the rest.....now into the dryer
thats where you are going to get the most, I went back to my machine about every 10 minutes, stopped it
and removed the lint filter, and cleaned, started again, went back again....that way you have nothing to be worried
about, pending on the size of your quilt, you MAY, want to wash and dry again......but not really necessary....
These are great quilts for young children, if you give as gifts, just tell the parents to wash and dry expecting some lint for the first couple times.....then it does stop !!!

Good advise here, however, when I have done those linty things, I take it out side and shake again after running thru the washer, and before going into the dryer. (while it is still wet) It does help some.