Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I think I have a problem (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-think-i-have-problem-t74219.html)

C.Cal Quilt Girl 11-04-2010 03:39 PM

That's a long day with out the Quilting, don't be hard on yourself over producing, not like it's another job.
Take on small projects, potholders, runners, lap throws, Baby blankies, even if you don't need them right now, or it's for something now, later will feel good to thinks humm I have just the goodie for that :)
Of course can envite DH to join you might be fun?

mommamac 11-04-2010 04:13 PM

How about repurposing your sewing room ~ call it your 'get away' room. Don't let what you haven't done get you down - reflect on all you have done each day. Take time for yourself, just sit and enjoy your fabrics - like you would art in a museum. Play some favorite music & get lost in yourself.

Trying to do things when we are stressed & tired just compounds the problems. Let yourself know it's ok to be a fabric collector at this point in your life. Time will change things I bet

hperttula123 11-04-2010 04:18 PM

I work full-time and have three kids...I know it is hard to find the time in the day to sew. I go through sperts where I don't sew much and then I make up for it. Usually when it starts getting cold outside, I just want to stay inside and sew. I get the most sewing done in the winter. Summer...I just want to be outside(as long as it's not too hot, then I'd rather stay inside in the a.c.) and don't get as much done.
Maybe you just need to take a break from sewing(just not too long, you might forget how to do it :) )and go back to it when you are ready. Your fabric will always be waiting for you. 8-)

sewTinker 11-04-2010 04:54 PM

You are a woman with many responsibilities, and sounds to me you have your priorities set correctly. Marriage, Child, Employer, Home, Shopping, Cleaning, Cooking... Sewing is your pleasurable past-time; a thing you do to relax. If you only sit down to it one hour a week, that's okay.

You would not feel pleasure or peace while working on a quilt when a child needs help with homework, and laundry is piling up. At the same time, you can go to your sewing room and ponder and putter when you need Down Time, Off Time, Me Time - without having to Produce. That's a blessing.

Gal 11-04-2010 05:30 PM

When the children were young, my sewing almost entirely was made up of making clothes curtains etc and a huge basket of mending which I used to do in front of TV in the evening with my feet up!! I also had to work on the kitchen table, no other space was available to me. I also worked part time.
Now that the kids have grown up I find I have more time to myself, I have the spare room to spread out a bit and leave my work out. My priorities changed once the kids left home.
I have also found that when you are tired is not a good time to begin new projects and that with any creative hobby you have peeks of creativity and troughs of down time, that is the very nature of being a creative person.
If I am too tired to actually sew I like to tidy my work space and set things up for when I can get back to my sewing machine. I am also not a fast sewer so my output is not the same as other people, do not be so hard on yourself that is what I am saying, we are all different!

Gal

tellabella 11-04-2010 05:47 PM

It can a combo of many things..all of which I have experienced...peri-menopause, menopause...can contribute to the inability to focus or concentrate, or stay on task...depression sometimes makes you feel very tired and unmotivated...stress, responsibilities, worries, lack of sleep...life in general can have rough patches...be kind to yourself, and take time to relax...

nlgh 11-04-2010 08:28 PM

My other half is not here anymore to tell me that very same thing. I have had a lot of things to do outside of the house that has kept me from sewing as I want to, so to satisfy my desire to create something, I look for more stash to have to use in the ideas I'm thinking up and I'm thinking up more than I can probably ever do. One of these days, I may be selling some of my stash so the rest of you can share in my desires and create your own quilt.

earthwalker 11-04-2010 08:37 PM

All great advice...we all feel the same sometimes...just be kind to yourself. Sometimes we forget to do that!

Linda71 11-04-2010 09:13 PM

Consider this. Go to the doctor. Have your vitamin D levels checked. I had stopped doing almost all my hobbies so I knew I had a problem. I asked to have it checked and it was VERY low. Now on a 1000mg pill, feeling better and better with each day.

lalaland 11-04-2010 09:23 PM

I do a lot of "floundering", sitting in my sewing room staring at the wall, trying to decide what to do. I think that is pretty normal. Sometimes I just reorganize my sewing room and refold fabric that's a mess.

Like you, I work and I usually have a take a short nap when I get home to recharge my batteries.

When I do find a project I want to start I go whole hog on it and that's all I want to do and usually end up doing more than one.

So don't worry about it, you'll sew when you want to.