Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I was told this is a Brick Road pattern quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-told-brick-road-pattern-quilt-t146069.html)

quilttiludrop 08-18-2011 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by mamaw
That is definitely bricks; but not Yellow Brick Road.

It's a nice pattern though, and a nice assortment of fabrics! :-)

seweasy 08-18-2011 03:51 PM

Sorry for the misunderstanding! I knew its not Yellow Brick Road pattern but found the post by Oistin, when I went looking for a tutorial on how to make a Brick Road quilt. I couldn't post a picture on her original post so that's why I started a new topic. I tried sending her a pic in a PM but apparently can't be done either. Oistin was looking for a Brick pattern that looked a little like a bargello pattern. I was hoping she would see this topic and it might be what she was looking for.
The more I've looked at the top, it would be a different way of using up scraps. I make quilts for preemie babies and always looking for easy but cute quilts to make for them. The quilts need to be somewhere around 30", so there's not alot of blocks that are good for that small a quilt. Chris

MargeD 08-18-2011 04:00 PM

You just never know what will happen when you talk to someone about quilts. Congratulations on your wonderful luck in getting those quilts, they will be a treasure, I'm sure. Unfortunately, I don't have any quilts from my mother or any other family members, they were all utitarian quilts and worn out by the time I came along, I'm the youngest. I'm trying to leave my mark, so to speak, by making family reunion quilts for our family reunions held every 2 years. Fortunatley for my ego, they are a big hit.

soccertxi 08-18-2011 04:58 PM

I'm piecing a quilt top that has the same setting as this, but the color placement looks like steps. Its called Stacked Bricks. Took a class for this YEARS ago and the lady told it they were commonly called PostCard quilts. They used post cards as their templates

seweasy 08-19-2011 11:52 AM

I belong to the Crafter's Choice book club and one of the reward books I purchased was Encyclopedia of Pieced Quilt Patterns by Barbara Brackman. At the time I had no idea how handy this book would become but I learned so much from it and its fun doing research on how and when blocks were developed. It must have every conceivable pattern that has been published!
Anyway, I looked up Brick Road, there's none by that exact title but several names are mentioned,Brickwall,Depression,Streak of Lightning,ZigZg, Old Garden Wall and Brickwork(p.24). Brickwall's design is attritubed so someone by the name of Ruth Finly who wrote a book titled "Old Patchwork Quilts and the Women who Made them" 1929, and apparently was the first to do this partiuclar design. Brickwork was done by Carrie Hall in 1935, she wrote a book with Rose Kretsinger called "The Romance of the Patchwork Quilt in America".
Hope everyone has a great weekend. I hope to get a surpise quilt started for my husband. We'll see how far I get!!! Chris

amma 08-19-2011 10:05 PM

What a beautiful treasure and a wonderful story to pass down to your grands too :D:D:D