Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I tried again & I overcame :-) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-tried-again-i-overcame-t168865.html)

Becky Crafts 11-18-2011 10:18 AM

I tried again & I overcame :-)

Last week I tried to make a purple French Braid table runner with white diamonds running down either side. It was so pretty and yet so utterly wrong!! It was so wrong I've buried it! The diamonds on either side lead in two different directions. One side was obviously longer than the other which gave it a lopsided look. It was the epitomy of failures all around. Yesterday, I'd finished the harvest/Christmas runner for another DGD so I cut out another French Braid runner from Christmas fabrics as shown in the picture on the pattern I'd found. It was an itty bitty picture, but I recognized the Santa fabric! :-) I was sewing this new one together at 3 a.m. this morning and I must say I overcame whatever caused me to fail so miserably on the purple one! This one is amazing!! Now, I've just got to figure out when appliqueing holly leaves as a focal point in the center, at what point do I applique them? Before I sandwich it, after I cut the battings (before the backing) or after it's all together. I've come this far and I don't want to ruin this now! LOL! Thank you for any suggestions.

thepolyparrot 11-18-2011 10:27 AM

How wonderful! :) You want to applique the holly leaves before you sandwich the quilt if you are hand appliqueing.

If you're machine appliqueing, the applique stitching can either be hidden on the back side of the quilt top (as with hand applique) or it can become part of the quilting.

bearisgray 11-18-2011 10:30 AM

I would suggest appliqueing the leaves on before you sandwich it. It would be easier to handle then.

Congratulations on making a table runner that come out right! :thumbup:

Did you analyze where the glitches were on the first one you worked on?

Becky Crafts 11-18-2011 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray (Post 4694505)
I would suggest appliqueing the leaves on before you sandwich it. It would be easier to handle then.

Congratulations on making a table runner that come out right! :thumbup:

Did you analyze where the glitches were on the first one you worked on?

I have a real bad back that only lets me sleep 3 hrs in any position, so I'd say it was mental breakdown. I'm in the Christmas crunch right now. So much to do and so little time! I push myself even when I don't feel up to it because I know I've got a time limit. That was the 1st failure since I started quilting though; so that's pretty good odds! :-)

Tartan 11-18-2011 10:56 AM

Unbury that purple french braid! Can you cut it into the size for place mats? It won't matter that they are not perfect just cut your rectangle square for the placemat. If they are real wonky they can be cut into pretty mug rugs. I'm glad your Christmas french braid is cooperating better. Pain can really do a number on your concentration for tasks. Hope your back gets better fast!

CorgiNole 11-18-2011 11:01 AM

Fantastic news that you found your way. Not sure what the applique answer is. When I did the signature quilt, I applique'd the dolphins prior to sandwiching.

Cheers, K

annthreecats 11-18-2011 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 4694583)
Unbury that purple french braid! Can you cut it into the size for place mats? It won't matter that they are not perfect just cut your rectangle square for the placemat. If they are real wonky they can be cut into pretty mug rugs. I'm glad your Christmas french braid is cooperating better. Pain can really do a number on your concentration for tasks. Hope your back gets better fast!

I agree with Tartan, take the failed braid and make it into something useful.

I love that you were able to create the french braid the second time.

I recently had a fail and threw the pieces in the trash bin by my machine. I later had a change of heart and retireved them and I will make hotpads from those pieces.

virtualbernie 11-18-2011 11:45 AM

Applique before sandwiching...:)

SuzyQ 11-18-2011 11:57 AM

Glad you tried it again!

wildyard 11-18-2011 01:09 PM

Oh please, please never toss even a failed effort. There those of us out here who will happily adopt those babies and use them for something constructive! I promise you that there is no wonky item that cannot be recycled into a scrappy top of some kind!! :D Hugs and smilesssss