Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I want this so badly!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-want-so-badly-t34059.html)

weezie 01-14-2010 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by JudeWill
Okay, that brings up a question. If you find a kit like that, can't afford the kit, can't find the pattern, would it be violating copyright to copy it by making the pattern yourself?

I asked that question (on this board) some months ago because I do "borrow". The kits are waaaaaaay too expensive and I dislike someone else making my fabric choices for me. The answer I liked and decided to use as a guide was that if the blocks, etc., are common (public domain) that you are not violating copyright. I might be less inclined to copy if I were planning to sell the finished quilt, but I don't do that.

Candace 01-14-2010 07:59 AM

Since I'm quite enamored with all things Halloweenie, this quilt is right up my alley! Denise, could you please let me know and report back in about the pattern. I'd like to know if it's mainly pieced or has some/ a lot of applique etc? It looks mainly pieced, but the picture isn't very detailed. And I like to know what I'm getting into before I decide to buy a pattern!

I'm also along the same lines as Patrice. This would be a great way to use up some Halloween scraps and buy your own. I've never bought a "kit" for the same reasons Patrice stated. I generally prefer to buy and make any pattern my own by picking out my own fabrics. IMO that's a great chunk of the fun in quilting.

deranged_damsel 01-14-2010 08:04 AM

Okay, that brings up a question. If you find a kit like that, can't afford the kit, can't find the pattern, would it be violating copyright to copy it by making the pattern yourself?

no

I make all of my patterns, I look at others work to gain inspiration, but in the end they are always modified and completly mine

Bailey's mom 01-14-2010 08:09 AM

I love the pattern! I would want to pick my own fabrics...a great deal of fun...stressing over fabric..HEHE
I would love to see some others Halloween ideas! I have a halloween birthday and so that time of year brings on great happiness and fun!!!

Tadpole 01-14-2010 09:16 AM

Love it as I love Halloween but the pattern can be found here and then just add the applique. Just look through the patterens and you will find it. Sorry I don't know what page but I remember seening it done in yellow without the halloween theme.

http://www.quilterscache.com/QuiltBlocksGalore.html

Tadpole 01-14-2010 09:19 AM

oh one more thing at this site it don't cost anything to use the patteren and she tells you step by step how to make the block.

SSTeacher 01-14-2010 12:33 PM

BellaBoo: I just saw you were online and was wondering if you could steer me inthe direction of the pattern you used for the braided table runners. The runners are stunning.
Thanks much. Sue (SS Teacher)

JudeWill 01-14-2010 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by weezie

I asked that question (on this board) some months ago because I do "borrow". The kits are waaaaaaay too expensive and I dislike someone else making my fabric choices for me. The answer I liked and decided to use as a guide was that if the blocks, etc., are common (public domain) that you are not violating copyright. I might be less inclined to copy if I were planning to sell the finished quilt, but I don't do that.

Thanks! I wouldn't make it to sell, either.

sandpat 01-14-2010 04:37 PM

Thats a really cool pattern...isn't it great that you can now just order the pattern and go from there??!!!

sewjoyce 01-15-2010 06:20 AM

That quilt is just beautiful!!! But you could just order the pattern and go to your LQS and have them help coordinate all the colors -- or pick your own color scheme! :D