Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I Will Never Again........ (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-will-never-again-t155913.html)

quiltingaz 09-26-2011 05:40 AM

I am doing my first block swap and it scares me as I am also worried that mine will not measure up. I have never met any of these quilters, only know them online, but worry they will not like my block selection. You have made me feel better about all this. I realize I am not the only one who feels this way.

MrsM 09-26-2011 05:42 AM

Amen! :)

Patty Patches 09-26-2011 05:55 AM

We are our own woret critic

Lady-T 09-26-2011 06:09 AM

BRAVO! :thumbup: (I've been there myself)

quiltsRfun 09-26-2011 06:14 AM

Yes, we're often too hard on ourselves. Have you ever taken a really close look at some of the quilts in magazines? I've seen several with seams that don't quite match. Even the "experts" don't always get it right.

Jingle 09-26-2011 06:26 AM

Good for you to figure out you have been way too hard on yourself. I am trying to make a perfect quilt, not yet but, I figure if I keep trying maybe I will please myself, or at least I will figure out it isn't going to happen. I have gotten a lot better with it all.

sueisallaboutquilts 09-26-2011 06:53 AM

I love your post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbup:
Thank you :D

Rose Marie 09-26-2011 07:02 AM

Im not a perfectionist and my home sure shows it.
Some of my blocks are good, others not so good.
When making blocks for a group project they must be the correct size and that takes some doing. I have never been able to use a perfect 1/4 inch seam and have a block the right size, they are always to small.

Glassquilt 09-26-2011 07:20 AM

It's great when we finally learn to accept ourselves. It took several events in my life to let me learn that. I am now a relaxed & happy camper.

When somebody says something that upsets me I try to figure out if that person intended to or not. Then I decide if i should blow it off or not.

It's great to be older & wiser. :)

shnnn 09-26-2011 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingaz
I am doing my first block swap and it scares me as I am also worried that mine will not measure up. I have never met any of these quilters, only know them online, but worry they will not like my block selection. You have made me feel better about all this. I realize I am not the only one who feels this way.

I was very intimidated to start the swaps too. But, you know, everyone has been very gracious in receiving my blocks, even those darned stubborn ones that would not go together right for me no matter what I do. I grew up with 2 perfectionists for parents, and am still struggling with the idea that good enough, truly is good enough. I remember forever ripping out seams when I was first starting to quilt because my mom would tell me "if you don't fix it now, you'll be sorry later" - but you know, I have never regretted one mis-matched seam - she's the only one who's ever noticed them - and I'm enjoying myself much more now that I don't have a seam ripper permanently attached to myself