Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I Will Never Again........ (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-will-never-again-t155913.html)

clsurz 09-26-2011 11:26 AM

Lady T love your avatar quilt block.

IAmCatOwned 09-26-2011 11:35 AM

Yes, we are hard on ourselves, but I do want to make one point. In swaps, I do not 'square up'. I don't want to use blocks with blunted triangles. Leave it to me, the receiver, to square things up if desired. I can always fudge in my sewing to keep sharp triangle edges for a block that isn't exact, but if you cut it off, I can't fix it. They end up in the orphan block box, not the intended quilt. If your block is off more than 1/4 inch, you need to resew, not chop it.

jaciqltznok 09-26-2011 11:40 AM

to Thine own self be TRUE....do what you want, but maintain YOUR standards, do not aspire to be at the standards of others, for you know not what their standards are!

dphelps 09-26-2011 12:43 PM

Just keep reminding yourself of that every once in a while.

mrsponcho1 09-26-2011 01:08 PM

Good for you. This proves a statement that my Grandmother made to me when I first started hand quilting. I kept telling her that my stitches weren't very good and was constantly ripping them out. She said "No matter how hard you try to be perfect, it ain't going to happen".

ube quilting 09-26-2011 03:39 PM

:thumbup:

EasyPeezy 09-26-2011 03:58 PM

Well said. When I sew I want to have fun not be forced to do this and that.

alleyoop1 09-27-2011 03:43 AM

I am NOT a perfectionist and my quilting is not perfect. In fact, I would hate for anyone to look at the back of my quilt tops. But I finally figured, heck, it's inside the batting, so if my seams don't all go the same way - so what! If my seams are not all exactly 1/4" - so what! If I have to fudge by easing one of the seams or stretching one of the seams - so what! I'm not entering a contest . I am doing this because I love it and I want to bless my family with my creations. So I try to keep my criticism of my work between me, my DH and my LORD! :P

She In PA 09-27-2011 04:19 AM

Our guild had block of the month. You got a block pattern for a dime. They told you what colors to make it. You made it and brought it into the next meeting. Everone that made a block got their name put in the darwing. The winner recieved all the blocks. Well, If you won half of the blocks weren't usable. The weren't square, not large enough, lumpy, and some months someone would win 20 blocks and the next month maybe only 4 people made blocks. So that month they got theirs back and 3 others. This year you but a pattern for a dime, make the block bring it in to show and keep it. At the end of the year you will have a good stat for a quilt and they are all the way you like them.

Highmtn 09-27-2011 04:33 AM

I call that the "VAN GOGH" syndrome and ALL true artists suffer from it at one time or another. Most quilters KNOW where every SINGLE off stitch is in every quilt they make. The recipients could care less...they are just thrilled to get a beautiful quilt, yet we clobber ourselves with the failed "perfection club" over minor bobbles etc.

I'm finally to the age where I can be much more accepting of ME (and my hobbies)... flaws and all. It's a nice place...

Nice post!