Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   i'de like some opinions please (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ide-like-some-opinions-please-t170192.html)

dojo36 11-28-2011 03:55 PM

i'de like some opinions please

i have a tin lizzie 18 and have had nothing but a lot of trouble out of it. so i'm considering buying a handi quilter avante 18. i'de like opinions from anybody on this machine, if you have it, if you like it, if you're 100% satisfied with it, if you've had any trouble with it or any trouble with help from the company. thanks for your input.
donna

kacy 49 11-28-2011 04:00 PM

The Avante is a great machine as is the Babylock Crown Jewel. I love my jewell and have not had any problems with it. It is also made by Handiquilter for Babylock.

QuiltnNan 11-28-2011 04:18 PM

i'm surprised that you say you've had so much trouble with your Tin Lizzie. all the posts I've seen say it is great

ksdot417 11-28-2011 04:24 PM

I've had an Avante for about 2 years and absolutely love it. The people at HandiQuilter are great too. They followed up to make sure it had been delivered and to find out if I was happy with it. A couple of friends of mine have had the 16" for several years and they still love them.

momto5 11-28-2011 05:14 PM

I have a Gammill, but I've heard good things about the Avante. Sounds like it'll be a big improvement over what you're working with now...Good luck!

Taughtby Grandma 11-28-2011 05:34 PM

I have a tin lizzie 18 since June. I've made 12 quilts of various sizes with it. The only one I had trouble with was when I tried making a king size and my machine is'nt wide enough for it. (Not the machine's fault, we don't have enough room in the room to accommodate longer). I bought it from a local sewing machine shop here in town and when I ran into problems I was able to call the store or stop in to ask questions. I love it!

lisalovesquilting 11-28-2011 05:55 PM

I'm sorry you've had so much trouble with your Tin Lizzie. Do you have local support? I've had mine for a year + and have loved it. I've had some problems but they were resolved quickly by my LQS owner.

Buzzy Bee 11-28-2011 06:06 PM

I have a 18" tin lizzy FM machine....Got it last Feb. at Quilt Expo.....I have trouble with the tention everytime I use it...closest LQS that sells them is 2 1/2 hrs from me...i talked to company and they recomended King Tut thread...and it does work better with less problems....I love the machine...If you get King Tut thread check out Joanns on line only....They had the cheapest prices I 've found anywhere....not a big color selection but try it out...the biggest thing i've learned is that u have to adjust the top and bottom tention to work together.....pm me and let me know how you are coming along.....I really am interested !!!! Maybe we could help each other...

jt1025 11-28-2011 06:23 PM

I have a tin lizzie and I love it I quilt for others and do one quilt after the other, call your dealer if you are having problems or call the company they will help it may just be some little adjustment. happy quilting

quilterella 11-29-2011 02:03 AM

When I first got my Tin Lizzie I hated it...too much of a learning curve. That was in April and now I love her to pieces. The main problem I had was the tension. With some help from my DH, we figured it out and as long as you do the 3 step maintenance before starting, everything should be smooth. 1: Clean machine and rails good. 2: Oil her if necessary. 3: Do the bobbin test - kinda like using a yoyo in the palm of your hand.
If you get a different machine, will you have the same issues? Did you test drive either machine, prior to purchasing the Tin Lizzie?
The rep I bought mine from made lots of promises and has yet to follow through with me buying the TL from her, so I have figured everything out on my own so far, along with the help of youtube. I wish you luck with whatever you decide, but, since you didn't state what problems you were having spefically, I would give the TL a second chance JMHO.