Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   If the pattern says use flannel....... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/if-pattern-says-use-flannel-t71114.html)

almostfree 10-19-2010 01:57 PM

I just found a quilting pattern that I think my daughter would just love, but it says to use flannel material. Do I have to use flannel, or is it ok to use regular cotton? I know...there's no quilting police......but I was just wondering if there would be any changes to the construction? Any thoughts out there about this?

kristen0112 10-19-2010 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by almostfree
I just found a quilting pattern that I think my daughter would just love, but it says to use flannel material. Do I have to use flannel, or is it ok to use regular cotton? I know...there's no quilting police......but I was just wondering if there would be any changes to the construction? Any thoughts out there about this?

I am sure you could substitute 100% cotton for the flannel the pattern maker was probably going for a certain look that flannel would give. Of course now that I've written that what kind of pattern is it?

wolfkitty 10-19-2010 01:59 PM

Can you give us a little more info, like what is the pattern, etc?

DLM3 10-19-2010 02:01 PM

I have made a quilt using cotton that called for flannel and didn't run into a single problem and the quilt turned out perfect! Good luck with your project.

almostfree 10-19-2010 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by wolfkitty
Can you give us a little more info, like what is the pattern, etc?

Gosh, it was a star kind of pattern that I saw in an "Easy Quilts" magazine. But other than that, I'm not sure what else to call it. It sure was pretty, though! (I'm sure that helps a lot!)

Spring 10-19-2010 02:04 PM

A whole quilt made out of flannel? Sounds so warm and wonderful...ok not what you asked but I just finished my first quilt top and its a crib quilt so Im not even going to try to offer any help....but Id LOVE an all flannel quilt! Add another project to my ever growing list if stuff I need to make.

Id use the cotton, I don't see why it would not work.

greensleeves 10-19-2010 02:05 PM

If it is a "rag" quilt then the flannel works best because it frays nicely but if the raw edges are not showing then it shouldn't make a difference to use cotton.

almostfree 10-19-2010 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Spring
A whole quilt made out of flannel? Sounds so warm and wonderful...ok not what you asked but I just finished my first quilt top and its a crib quilt so Im not even going to try to offer any help....but Id LOVE an all flannel quilt! Add another project to my ever growing list if stuff I need to make.

Id use the cotton, I don't see why it would not work.

I made an all flannel quilt for her sister--who just loves it and took it off to college, but my oldest daughter told me if she had her druthers, she would rather have a quilt that was made out of regular cotton. I think all flannel sounds so much warmer, too.

BKrenning 10-19-2010 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by almostfree

If this is going to be a shaggy or chenille quilt--there is a reason the pattern calls for flannel. It ravels/unravels differently. What is the pattern?

sewTinker 10-19-2010 02:53 PM

Often, flannel patterns call for a 1/2" seam. That might make a difference in size if you use a 1/4" seam on a cotton quilt.