Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: If the pattern says use flannel.......

I just found a quilting pattern that I think my daughter would just love, but it says to use flannel material. Do I have to use flannel, or is it ok to use regular cotton? I know...there's no quilting police......but I was just wondering if there would be any changes to the construction? Any thoughts out there about this?

Quote Originally Posted by almostfree
    I just found a quilting pattern that I think my daughter would just love, but it says to use flannel material. Do I have to use flannel, or is it ok to use regular cotton? I know...there's no quilting police......but I was just wondering if there would be any changes to the construction? Any thoughts out there about this?
    I am sure you could substitute 100% cotton for the flannel the pattern maker was probably going for a certain look that flannel would give. Of course now that I've written that what kind of pattern is it?

Can you give us a little more info, like what is the pattern, etc?

I have made a quilt using cotton that called for flannel and didn't run into a single problem and the quilt turned out perfect! Good luck with your project.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfkitty
    Gosh, it was a star kind of pattern that I saw in an "Easy Quilts" magazine. But other than that, I'm not sure what else to call it. It sure was pretty, though! (I'm sure that helps a lot!)

A whole quilt made out of flannel? Sounds so warm and wonderful...ok not what you asked but I just finished my first quilt top and its a crib quilt so Im not even going to try to offer any help....but Id LOVE an all flannel quilt! Add another project to my ever growing list if stuff I need to make.

Id use the cotton, I don't see why it would not work.

If it is a "rag" quilt then the flannel works best because it frays nicely but if the raw edges are not showing then it shouldn't make a difference to use cotton.

Quote Originally Posted by Spring
    A whole quilt made out of flannel? Sounds so warm and wonderful...ok not what you asked but I just finished my first quilt top and its a crib quilt so Im not even going to try to offer any help....but Id LOVE an all flannel quilt! Add another project to my ever growing list if stuff I need to make.

Id use the cotton, I don't see why it would not work.
    I made an all flannel quilt for her sister--who just loves it and took it off to college, but my oldest daughter told me if she had her druthers, she would rather have a quilt that was made out of regular cotton. I think all flannel sounds so much warmer, too.

If this is going to be a shaggy or chenille quilt--there is a reason the pattern calls for flannel. It ravels/unravels differently. What is the pattern?

currently living outside of nashville, tn
    Often, flannel patterns call for a 1/2" seam. That might make a difference in size if you use a 1/4" seam on a cotton quilt.

Quote Originally Posted by sewTinker
    Often, flannel patterns call for a 1/2" seam. That might make a difference in size if you use a 1/4" seam on a cotton quilt.
    Ok, thank you for your help. I hadn't thought of that!

Quote Originally Posted by sewTinker
    That's what I was thinking. Even if it calls for the wider seam, you can either adjust your measurements accordingly or sew the cotton with the 1/2" inch prescribed seam.

It should be fine. Do a test block if you can and see if you like the results.

I've used cotton fabric in a quilt when the pattern called for flannel with NO problems. As you said there's NO quilt police.

I mix cotton and flannel all the time. Just be consistent with your seams.

I can't see a reason you couldn't use cotton.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfkitty
    Gosh, it was a star kind of pattern that I saw in an "Easy Quilts" magazine. But other than that, I'm not sure what else to call it. It sure was pretty, though! (I'm sure that helps a lot!)
    It sounds like it would work fine with 100% cotton. Actually, flannel is all cotton, too, just brushed to make it soft.

Blog Entries
    I wouldn't worry about it, use what makes you happy :D:D:D

Quote Originally Posted by amma
    I wouldn't worry about it, use what makes you happy :D:D:D
    Yeah, what she said!!

You should do fine with using cotton for the flannel. You have lots of advice already but you might like to put a flannel backing on it to make it warmer!

I have used other fabric other than what the pattern calls for without a problem. Good luck & post pics!

Im going to have to buy a three ring binder to keep all my notes in.

Flannel is best with 1/2" seam....I have not seen that anywhere. My flannel quilt would have busted at the seams or come apart in the wash.

Use whatever you want and get creative! Don't worry, I won't tell the quilt police! :D