Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: My sister says..."I don't know if I want Abigail (my niece) to use the quilt

My sister says..."I don't know if I want Abigail (my niece) to use the quilt

WHAT!!! No, let her use the quilt I want her to enjoy it. Play with it, cuddle up with it, go to sleep with it. If you really want a quilt for her that you cherish and not allow her to use I will make you another quilt, but don't take away the one I made "just for her".

This was the conversation I have with my sister after Christmas. Has anyone else else experienced a conversation like this?? I make these quilts to be used and loved, not put away in a hope chest never to be seen again for 40 years.

Blog Entries
    Yes I made one for the neighbor girl and she loved it so much wanted to put it on her wall to decorate the room- I told her I would walk into the house , take it down and take it home ! I made it to be used and loved - and if it wore out I could make another one
    To keep your mind fresh- learn one new thing a day !

I agree with you, my quilts are to be used and loved.
    Jo

Agree 100% -- I tell people that I give quilts too that they are meant to be used and enjoyed. Baby quilts are to be peed on, pooped on, spit-up on. Well loved, used and worn out.

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    My quilts come with a warranty... Will be replaced when returned back with bare threads.. lol..

Asheville, Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs
    Blog Entries
    I gave my great niece two when she was born. One to save and one to love.
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day.

Blog Entries
    I make sure to tell them that it's 100% machine washable and that washing it makes is softer and more loveable.

Coyotemagic, just had to say, I like your handle! Also, your location is what I listen to once in awhile..... DH has a very extensive old radio show collection on tape and disc......

I gave a friend a quilt and his mother wouldn't let him use it. She was afraid the cat would shed on it. I told him that ship had sailed as a cat was on my lap most of the time I was putting the binding on it but it didn't make any difference. I also gave his mother a lap quilt and she put it away too. She didn't want anything to happen to them. I really wanted them both to use them and enjoy them - not put them away in a box in a closet.

RST
    Blog Entries
    I definitely want my quilts used, but in my mind, having it on the wall as the centerpiece of the room's decor counts as being used, and I would be fine with that if it's how the recipient wanted to use a quilt I made them. Many of my quilts have a hanging sleeve sewn into the binding to make that option easy.

Quote Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt View Post
    My quilts come with a warranty... Will be replaced when returned back with bare threads.. lol..
    thanks i am going to use that saying also i am always glad to see some one love the quilt but not to use it is such a shame. blessings to all ogama

I too, want my quilts to be loved, cuddled with and wrapped around a warm body. Never ever in a closet.
    Lorraine
    I love hand quilting, gives me peace.

It was funny this past week I went to visit a friend and she had the quilt I made her on a chair in her living room. Asked her if she did that intentionally (with a smile) and she said no, that she uses it all the time and very rarely is it folded up. So I felt good about that.

I was honoured by a friend giving me a quilt made by her grandmother in the 1930s, and I use it on my bed. Maybe it will wear out - but I hope her grandmother would rather know that her work has travelled from California to the UK and is still being used and admired daily in 2011 (and 2012), than have it hidden away as a "vintage" object. I know I would.

I guess I am a hipocrite because I want my quilts to be used and enjoyed but I keep the crocheted blanket my great grandmother made me in our linen closet because I don't want it ruined by my son or the dogs.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sharon b View Post
    Yes I made one for the neighbor girl and she loved it so much wanted to put it on her wall to decorate the room- I told her I would walk into the house , take it down and take it home ! I made it to be used and loved - and if it wore out I could make another one
    wow- i think if someone loved it so much they wanted to hang it on their wall that is a Wonderful way to use and Love it!
    it's when they pack them in a box under the bed never to be seen that i complain and threaten to take back- if they wanted to display it on their wall- or use it any other way it is fine with me- as long as it's being used...not packed away to be found and used by someone else years from now.
    i've had the (disagreement) many times -- i made my hubby's neices & nephew kids quilts- the girls received game quilts- of course they are to be played on- they are game quilts- one of the mother's mentioned she keeps it packed away- doesn't want it (worn out) when i found out i told my hubby to tell her- if it's (not good enough) for her daughter to use i will try again! she called me right away (spouting) how wonderful it is- i replied---obviously it is not very wonderful if it is in a box under the bed- and she can't even play on it...by the time it wears out she will have (out grown it) and be ready for a new one anyway.
    i made a sister in law a Fabulous queen sized quilt- one of the most beautiful quilts i think i've ever done---she was thrilled---and informed me they were going to use it for (a HEADBOARD!) I must admit-i was a bit...surprised---i worked hard to make sure it fit a queen bed with perfect lines-and perfect overhang---if i'd had any idea it would become i headboard i would have sized it differently---but it's hers---and certainly a focal point in her room- and it's not hidden away in a box under the bed-
    i always encourage the quilts i give to be used---but how they are used is not up to me- it's not mine anymore---i want the recipients to be comfortable enough to be able to say---it doesn't (work) for me--or i only pull it out when...or oh my goodness- i think i will hang it on the wall! or i painted my room to go with my quilt i just don't want to hear---it lives in a box under the bed! in that case i have to (try again) to make one good enough to not be hidden away
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Blog Entries
    For a while I was afraid that a quilt I had made to keep would get dirty if used. this summer though my DD and her family came to visit us in MI. Our granddaugher was to sleep in a playpen, and I had gotten a little blanket just for her to use. However, it turned unexpectedly cold, and DD asked if we had another blanket she could put on Lila. I handed her my "pine tree" quilt. She looked at me really funny and said "Really Mom?? Aren't you afraid she will get it dirty?". I just smiled and said, "Honey quilts are made to be USED, not just looked at." And it kept my darling little Lila nice and warm during that cold snap!!!
    Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!

How sad to think of people keeping cherished objects and heirlooms "put away" for safekeeping, where no one can see them. Life is to ENJOY, every day you can. It will be over soon enough, and guess what - those kids and GKS you were saving the good stuff for - they may not want it!!

My mum, who passed when I was a child, left a dozen bone china cups and saucers, I have 6 and my sis has 6. I use them regularly when I have a cup of tea, even if it just me.

There are a lot of us that put our most treasured items away so nothing happens to them. We need to use them before we are gone and someone sells them for $1 at a sale!

Blog Entries
    I thought it was up to the person who "gets the quilt" as to how it is used. I don't see a problem with one hanging on a wall for many to see and enjoy! I have several tops that when I finish they will go up on a WALL to decorate! That way every time I go into that room I will smile at the beauty of the quilt.
    I also have 2 - 3 older quilts that were hand made back in the 1800's, they are put away to keep them nice.

Quote Originally Posted by RST View Post
    I definitely want my quilts used, but in my mind, having it on the wall as the centerpiece of the room's decor counts as being used, and I would be fine with that if it's how the recipient wanted to use a quilt I made them. Many of my quilts have a hanging sleeve sewn into the binding to make that option easy.
    Yes--that's my feelings too. I just hate to see them put on the closet shelf because they are "too nice" to use. Hanging up, on the bed, on the couch, in the car--please use. Now, if I am making a "keeper" then my expectations are a bit different, but most of my quilts are "utility" --use, use, use.
    God Bless,
    Rachel

All you have to do is read my signature to know where I stand. Saying that I will make wall quilts if a person request one.
    I have a few hanging in my house.
    http://www.skillpages.com/DonnaValleyquiltermo
    Sweet Dreams come from under Cozy Quilts made with love.
    Life is short, take time to enjoy it. Play with your kids and g-kids,
    and do what you can for others.

Grandma and Grandpa had a fifty year anniversary---people bearing gifts of beautiful towels, sheets, blankets plus the usual useless "50 Year Anniversary" plates came from all over. After the celebration Grandma packed everything away to save as the "good" stuff to use "someday". Mom got a magic marker and a roll of masking tape. She started writing "Josie" and "Bonnie" on the tape, tearing it off and sticking it on all Grandma's new towels, sheets and blankets. Grandma shrieked, "WHAT ARE YOU DOING????" Mom replied, "These things will still be new when you die so I'm picking out what I want now and trust me, I'll use them." Grandma ripped the tape off and said, "Oh no, if you're just planning on using them anyway I'll use them first after all, they're mine." Mom laughed to herself--mission accomplished.

I recently made a zebra and bright pink baby quilt for a girl at church. Her mother said, "Oh that's too pretty to use, you should hang it on the wall of her room. I told her that I'd made it with the intent of her using it to wrap her baby in but it was her gift and she should use it in a way that would make her most happy.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by raptureready; 12-31-2011 at 06:35 AM.
    If no one ever experimented we'd all still be making 4 patches.

I love that zebra and pink quilt, you did a great job. I'd have to show it off with my baby wrapped in it. To cute

Further to what people do with our quilts.
    I made my favorite niece a double wedding ring quilt. The first time I had ever made one.
    It was pretty near perfect, I say that as nothing is perfect except God.
    It took me a month to make it, I also would love to have one, but decided after making hers I didn't want one bad enough to make another one for me. I figured she would take care of it.
    But no, my mom found it curmpled up in the floor. So mom picked it up and found that it looked like my nieces dog had welped on it. She called me and ask me what to do about it, because moma knew how much work had put into it. I said right take it home and I'll pick it up asap. It has taken me 4 washing and lots of stain remover to get it clean again. I believe I'll just keep it safe for her, on the off chance she will someday want it and will take care of it. Moma also found the quilt Granny made, I have about 10 of them so I gave my niece one of them. It was also a mess. I have it back to. I can only pray she will grow up in my life time and want them back. She is 24 now. With 3 kids all of which I have made quilts for, they drag them and won't sleep without them and thats wonderful. But Grannys quilt and the double wedding ring where keepers not dog welping quilts. She could have used them on her bed no problem. By the way they are truely beautiful quilts once again.
    Last edited by valleyquiltermo; 12-31-2011 at 06:58 AM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast