Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   My sister says..."I don't know if I want Abigail (my niece) to use the quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/my-sister-says-i-dont-know-if-i-want-abigail-my-niece-use-quilt-t173806.html)

pinkberrykay 12-30-2011 08:12 PM

My sister says..."I don't know if I want Abigail (my niece) to use the quilt

:eek:WHAT!!! No, let her use the quilt I want her to enjoy it. Play with it, cuddle up with it, go to sleep with it. If you really want a quilt for her that you cherish and not allow her to use I will make you another quilt, but don't take away the one I made "just for her".

This was the conversation I have with my sister after Christmas. Has anyone else else experienced a conversation like this?? I make these quilts to be used and loved, not put away in a hope chest never to be seen again for 40 years.

sharon b 12-30-2011 08:14 PM

Yes I made one for the neighbor girl and she loved it so much wanted to put it on her wall to decorate the room- I told her I would walk into the house , take it down and take it home ! I made it to be used and loved - and if it wore out I could make another one :)

jollyquilting 12-30-2011 08:17 PM

I agree with you, my quilts are to be used and loved.

DeneK 12-30-2011 08:20 PM

Agree 100% -- I tell people that I give quilts too that they are meant to be used and enjoyed. Baby quilts are to be peed on, pooped on, spit-up on. Well loved, used and worn out.

luvTooQuilt 12-30-2011 08:24 PM

My quilts come with a warranty... Will be replaced when returned back with bare threads.. lol..

Krisb 12-30-2011 08:31 PM

I gave my great niece two when she was born. One to save and one to love.

COYOTEMAGIC 12-30-2011 08:42 PM

I make sure to tell them that it's 100% machine washable and that washing it makes is softer and more loveable.

CoyoteQuilts 12-30-2011 08:55 PM

Coyotemagic, just had to say, I like your handle! Also, your location is what I listen to once in awhile..... DH has a very extensive old radio show collection on tape and disc......

ksdot417 12-30-2011 09:05 PM

I gave a friend a quilt and his mother wouldn't let him use it. She was afraid the cat would shed on it. I told him that ship had sailed as a cat was on my lap most of the time I was putting the binding on it but it didn't make any difference. I also gave his mother a lap quilt and she put it away too. She didn't want anything to happen to them. I really wanted them both to use them and enjoy them - not put them away in a box in a closet.

RST 12-30-2011 09:44 PM

I definitely want my quilts used, but in my mind, having it on the wall as the centerpiece of the room's decor counts as being used, and I would be fine with that if it's how the recipient wanted to use a quilt I made them. Many of my quilts have a hanging sleeve sewn into the binding to make that option easy.