Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   If you don't intend to buy more fabric but you must... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/if-you-dont-intend-buy-more-fabric-but-you-must-t312130.html)

eparys 08-14-2020 04:45 AM

Ah Yes!! I am familiar with that scenario(lol).

I generally get 2 yds. If it is a neutral, however, that could be used on multiple projects (like white on white or cream) I will get 4 or 5 yards

Onebyone 08-14-2020 05:23 AM

I don't argue with myself over fabric, I love it, I buy it. I keep bolts of fabric to use for most of my backgrounds and borders so I don't need yardage for those. I buy at least 2 yards each of the fabric that calls my name.

Iceblossom 08-14-2020 05:38 AM

I joined the fabric moratorium thread because I have enough fabric, even if I don't have all the fabric I want. :p

A lot of it depends on the complexity and size of your quilts. There are plenty of 3-5 yard quilts, but I figure on 10-12 yards for a queen sized project if what I plan on/buy ahead.

If you really really love something, or it's going to be half your quilt: 6 yards -- also big enough for most backs.

If it's going to be a major focus in the quilt: 2-3 yards each of the different colors. I have a lot of 3 yard pieces, I've started combining them in... different... ways to make my backs.

I mostly work scrappy and after working in a fabric shop in my youth I vowed never to buy under 1/2 yard cuts. Half yard cuts may be a little more than a pre-cut fat quarter but not that much.

I have a friend and her method is "if I like it, I buy what's left on the bolt". LOL, sometimes for her that is the full fresh bolt.

Butterfli19 08-14-2020 05:43 AM

Wow, you all really buy fabric! Sometimes I think one yard is too much, but I don't make large quilts.

joe'smom 08-14-2020 09:26 AM

My first option would be to tell myself, since this is new, it's going to be available for a long time. Then I would go home and find pictures of it on-line and save them to my 'would like to buy' folder, and see if I still felt the same way in a few weeks. Sometimes the infatuation is short-lived.

I've never had the budget to by 4 or even 2 yards of an entire fabric line! If I wanted the whole line, I'd probably go the FQ or F8th bundle route. Or, I'd go and search out a particular pattern for it, and then I would know exactly how much of what fabric to buy.

leaha 08-14-2020 09:35 AM

OK if I like it 3 yards if I love it 5 yards, If a neutral 5 yards or more, black by the bolt, white also by the bolt, My PFD fabrics a couple of bolts at a time. I just can not do things half way. I have really tried but it just does not work for me LOL

Stitchnripper 08-14-2020 09:46 AM

I love these response. I don't have a stash to speak of. A lot of scraps, a few fat quarters I won, and chunks of fabric from leftover quilts. So if I saw something great I would get enough of all the parts and a pattern. Otherwise, would let it live in the quilt shop til one of you bought it.

Leahquilts 08-14-2020 01:11 PM

I make mostly scrap quilts and will usually by a yard, 2 if I really love it.

NZquilter 08-14-2020 02:10 PM

When it's a whole line I fall in love with, I will buy a layer cake of it. If that's not in the store, I'll take a photo of the line on my phone and then search online at home. If it's just one fabric I have to have, I think 2 yds is enough that I can use it in a quilt and have it make a statement.

Jingle 08-14-2020 03:02 PM

I would 4 yds. if cream or blenders that would go with lots of colors then I would buy 6 yds. If wide backing I would buy 2 or 3 yds. I give away most of my quilts and donate lots.

I have been using my stash for several years and running out of good companion fabrics.