Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   If you please, info. about your machine :) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/if-you-please-info-about-your-machine-t117368.html)

Grandma58 04-20-2011 09:57 PM

What are you wanting to do with your machine?

I am upgrading to a big girl sewing machine because I want to sew all stuff not just quilts. I am getting a Juki tailoring machine for 1400. - it will sew!

For playing I love my Bernina's
One I use for needle felting more then anything else - it was the cheapest and I have the least problems with it.

I like my anniversary 9mm more or less for free motion embroidery.
My other one is in the shop for an annual - I like it 2nd best - I think it is a 160.

Grandma58 04-20-2011 10:03 PM

I have a Bernina because of the local service, the quality of the stitches was better then Viking, this may no longer be true. I sewed with both machines on the same piece of fabric.

Originally Posted by vschieve
It is great that all of the Bernina owners love and are so devoted to their "one and only". But I had to laugh LOL when I watched the video of the big tada intro of the big 830 here in the U.S. when they rolled the drums literally that they have now a built in walking foot??? I mean it was a BIG honkin' deal, and I thought WHAT? Pfaff has had one since the 1970s, when the Pfaff 1222 models came out with IDT. I noticed there were other features they were tada-ing about that were already on the Pfaff Creative Vision 5.5 and BTW IDT comes on all the Pfaffs; Bernina just on top of the line so I've heard.

Also I heard from two different dealers that the Bernina's are not as user friendly as the Pfaff and the Brother. One of the sales ladies works in a store that sells only Brother and Bernina and she bought herself the Brother Quattro. But again, hats off to the Bernina fans that love and can use their machines just fine.

But I have to say that if you find your "true love" machine than go for it, no matter what the make. As quilters and sewers our machine is our vehicle, whether a Cadillac or VW, and we go for what gets the job done at the price we can pay.

nangars 04-20-2011 10:05 PM

I have used many different machines over the years, I now have 3 baby locks, One I use for Class is the Decorators choice, then I have the Quilter choice, love that one also, but my very favorite is my Ellisimo, It is a great machine and does great embroidery. My suggestion is to go to different dealers and try out various machines and make your own mind up. As I said have used a lot of other machines White, Singer (which I would never buy again), Elna, Brothers. For EZ to use, I like the Babylock's, but try them out yourself. What I like the feel of and what you like might be two different things. They are like car's
to many to choice from.

ufoqueen 04-21-2011 02:30 AM

I have a New Home that I've had for 10 years, paid about $350. I love the stich and it purrs. I also have a new (1 yr) Baby Lock Quilter's Dream, paid $1200 for it, haven't had it long enough to say its my favorite, but I do love the on-off button that I use to save my foot pain. It has lots of stitches, alphabet, ets. After I got it out of layaway, I had health issues and didn't play on it very much, back in the saddle (or my sewing chair) so I try to play at least once a day. The only feature that I'm not too crazy about is the bobbin is not a drop in. My new home has a drop in with a clear plastic case that enables me to monitor my bobbin thread. Good luck, happy shopping.

selfhunter 04-21-2011 02:44 AM

So much good information sewing machines. It has been a great help to me

ctilburg 04-21-2011 03:23 AM

I have two Berninas. I paid full price for the 153 11 years ago, and love it. Best machine I have ever owned, but the one that gets the most use is the 220 that lives in the quilt shop. It is used by any and everyone who needs to show something quick, bindings, backings, etc. I bought it for less than half price from the dealer. Many are turned to by those who want to upgrade. They have barely been used when the purchaser feels it is enough. The dealer sells them, and they are viturally brand new.
They do everything. The quarter inch foot is great. It makes my stitching perfect. I used to have them serviced often but it is really not necessary.
Look at this option.

JudeWill 04-21-2011 07:22 AM

I have a Bernina Artista 730. Paid about $7000 for it. When I bought it, I was debating between it and a Pfaff. I thought they were abt. the same in quality, etc. I decided on the Bernina because the shop that sold it is local. The Pfaff was a distance away. I figured for taking the classes, maintenence, that would be better. The Pfaff I had had for years and was very happy with it. I am very happy with the Bernina, but I wish I had gone with the Pfaff for one reason. The Pfaff had the built-in walking foot. It was very easy to use and could be used on most stitches. The Bernina has the walking foot, which you have to put on and cannont be used with as many stitches. It is inconvenient. I didn't think it would make that much difference, but it does. I miss the Pfaff's walking foot, and if I could do it over, I would go with the Pfaff. Good luck!

denveremerson 04-21-2011 07:35 AM

I'm a Janome lover!

Sandygirl 04-21-2011 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by miss_ticky2
1.) What machine you have - Janome Horizon

2.) What you love about it - Love, love the Accufeed system (built in walking foot), love the 11" throat, love how it sews beautifully, no problems FMQ, it has needle up/down, auto cutter, needle threader, a mass of stitches ...well, you can google and see what it has .. I just love it. :)

3.) What you don't love about it - nothing really..sometimes I have trouble getting the thread to run through the little tension thing when winding the bobbin, because you can't actually see it - it's under a cover - but that's no biggie...just me I think. Most times I get it first time now without any problems.

4.) How much you paid for it - I paid $3300 (in Australia) and was given the open toe Accufeed foot with it

THIS is my "dream" for quilting. I have a sew/embroidery Janome 9700 which I do love but I would like a longer throat for "quilting". The Janome 6600 would work for me too. The Horizon is a wonderful machine, you lucky girl!
sandy

dorothymsmith 04-21-2011 08:22 AM

That is a bargin. I wanted the Elisimo but could not afford it so purchased the Elegante. I love it they have the same features, just a few less built in designs. I upgraded from the Ellure, loved it 7 yrs of sewing. It all depends on what type of sewing you plan. Do you embroidery, quilt, garment sew, or all of them. I investigated for months before staying with the Baby Lock. I do all kinds of sewing an it really meets my needs. It has built in quilting designs. You never have to use the foot pedal, push button. It has sensor for fabric thickness. Pressor foot up needle down for continuos sewing around corners. You can set it to cut thread, and raises pressor ft when machine stops. It does embroridery stitches without connecting embroidery unit due to sewing in all directions depending on design you choose. Lots of room for free hand quilting. There are too many features to write about. Check it out on the internet. Baby Lock site has demo interact online. Prices 4999 up to 9999 for Elisimo. Well worth the price. If this is going to be your last machine, dont cheat yourself buy the best.