Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   If you please, info. about your machine :) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/if-you-please-info-about-your-machine-t117368.html)

Martha Hamman 04-21-2011 11:29 AM

I love my Pfaff. Creative Vision. It was my Christmas present from my DH this year. What a great guy!!
It has lots of features that hopefully, I'll learn to use here shortly. It is pricey, but it will be the last machine for me. If you lived near me, I would suggest the Wilson's Quilt Shop in Hagerstown, MD for dealer help. They've been wonderful to deal with and have a great group of ladies for support help after your purchase. Also, their classes have been really good.
Good luck.

miss_ticky2 04-21-2011 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Sandygirl

Originally Posted by miss_ticky2
1.) What machine you have - Janome Horizon

2.) What you love about it - Love, love the Accufeed system (built in walking foot), love the 11" throat, love how it sews beautifully, no problems FMQ, it has needle up/down, auto cutter, needle threader, a mass of stitches ...well, you can google and see what it has .. I just love it. :)

3.) What you don't love about it - nothing really..sometimes I have trouble getting the thread to run through the little tension thing when winding the bobbin, because you can't actually see it - it's under a cover - but that's no biggie...just me I think. Most times I get it first time now without any problems.

4.) How much you paid for it - I paid $3300 (in Australia) and was given the open toe Accufeed foot with it

THIS is my "dream" for quilting. I have a sew/embroidery Janome 9700 which I do love but I would like a longer throat for "quilting". The Janome 6600 would work for me too. The Horizon is a wonderful machine, you lucky girl!
sandy

Thank you...it's my first machine in about 25 years, and probably will be my last, so I didn't feel too guilty...lol.

wholehog 04-21-2011 11:32 PM

My recommendation is to purchase the best machine you can. Make a list of what's important to you, you know, which bells and whistles you need/want, share your list with the dealers, and sew, sew, sew until you find the perfect fit for you. Be careful not to let a dealer talk you into a machine that has way more functions than you will ever use; I believe thats when one over spends.

While it may seem expensive right now, it (a machine with a perfect fit for you)will last a long time. Also, take all the classes that are offered as part of the purchase. You'll be suprised at how much fun your machine will be to use when you know exactly how to use it. Seriously consider a used machine, too. There are some great 'older' models out there that have been traded in for a machine with more bells and whistles and I bet you can find the perfect one with your name on it.

I purchased my Bernina 830 (the very first issue) in 1973. In the 28 years I have had this machine, it has NEVER broken down. I have taken it in for cleaning, etc. about 6 times, and I replaced the cord for the first time just a few months ago. It is a full metal machine, and very heavy, but sews like a dream. Doing maintenance is quick and easy, so I can keep up with it. Hauling it to class is not a problem, it just takes a little extra muscle to lift it in and out of the car and on and off the table. The reason I said to buy the best machine you can: my machine is still exactly the machine I want, still fits my needs, and works like a champ doing exactly what I ask it to do so I don't even think about trading it in. I paid less then $500 for my machine, and if I wanted to (which I don't) I can sell it for almost three times the purchase price. Cool, huh?

There are many features that I love about my machine, but one especially worth mentioning: when you start sewing on the edge of the fabric, my machine doesn't shove the material down into the feed dogs even if I don't use a 'leader.'

The only downfall (for you, not me) is that the throat is 7 1/2". I don't long-arm so it is a non-issue for me.

You are going to use this machine a lot, so take your time and do your research, and lots of test sewing. Stay true to your expectations, and the perfect machine will find you.

Good luck!

Chris

Annya 04-22-2011 01:04 AM

I have 2 Janomes-- 1 of which is for workshops as it is light and easy to carry. I payed $300 for it on special.
The other is the 6600p embroidery machine. It has lots of different patterns but if I need it for a workshop it is a bit heavy to carry all the time. I payed $1800 new
The third machine is a Brother 1500D embroidery machine which is one machine that will be staying where it is as it weighs a ton , also the top is also heavy. I payed $1500 second hand from a friend. I am having fun with the patterns that she gave me plus ones I downloaded from the internet.
Other than these minor glitches I have had no other problems.

Marion T 04-22-2011 02:07 AM

I have an old electric Singer, and three Brother machines, one NX200, one NX400, and one QC1000. I love all of them. The Brothers come with lots of "feet" and other extras, plus extension tables that fit on the side. The QC is my favourite, the lighting is really good, it has a touch screen (including drop the feed dogs), several needle positions, and in-built scissors. It has a knee lift which I don't use, because it can be set to cut the threads and raise the pressure foot with a push of a button. I also like being able to slow down or speed up the stitching by sliding a switch.
Good luck with your hunting, I hope you get a machine you love.

4dogs 04-24-2011 02:31 PM

I have the Bernina Artista 630.....I think it was around ... uh....darn, I dont even remember......but I really do like it........I was also looking at Baby Lock, but found out that Bernina has all metal parts, Baby Lock has plastic stuff.....also, with Baby Lock, it something breaks, they have to replace a whole section, with Bernina, they just replace the little thing that breaks...the walking foot is aboaut $150.oo.....its not hard to put on and off, and I have sewed some plain lines with it,at times too.........works great when quilting the sandwich.....I have a very good local dealer..I think that makes a big difference too...having a local shop for whatever you might need.

travelingquilter 04-25-2011 02:28 PM

i have had my Bernina for 30 yrs and use it constantly. it is very user-friendly. it took me a while to get used to a Janome,(when i was away from home last yr and only had that brand to use), and it wasn't nearly as user friendly!! some brands thread easier, come apart easier to clean or change parts, don't loose their stitch. Bernina is motor driven, not belt driven, like some are....which means when the weather changes, you could have to adjust your machine's tension again on a belt driven machine.

Paisleyc 04-25-2011 03:32 PM

Well you got 10 pages as of now. When you ask a question on this board you will get honest answers and you will know what you want and the right price to pay for it.

This group is great for helping you decide all things important to you. I love it. I asked about rotary cutter vs scissors and got lots of good reasons for each.

I was interested in all the answers too. Thanks for asking.

Carol from NC

Vintage Bicycle 04-26-2011 06:19 AM

I can't tell you all how VERY helpful all this information has been - I'm still hunting :)

I will be SURE to post to this thread again when I bring my new baby home!!!

glennarogers59 04-27-2011 07:19 AM

I have the Husqavarna Model Emerald 118. My boys bought it for me last xmas. So mine was FREE what a great gift. I love it . It has all medal gears. So many machines have plastic. the price of mine was 500.00 on sale.

Look at their machines & see what you think.