Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I'll never buy FQs again. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ill-never-buy-fqs-again-t209031.html)

judi43 12-23-2012 05:25 AM

When I buy FQ's at a show I open them up & carry my tape measure, I've gotten bad one's before too. CT will make them good if you call them, there usually good with there cuts.

time2quilt 12-23-2012 05:31 AM

I'm doing a baby quilt where the recipient supplied the fabric. She is not a quilter/sewer, but went to a very reputable quilt shop and bought fat quarters. I echo what you are saying. The pattern required that I use almost all of the fat quarter and in a couple of cases, the fat quarters were too small to get what I needed. Very sad that prices keep going up and we aren't even getting what we pay for.

mawluv 12-23-2012 05:32 AM

CT has always given me generous cuts! Just like Peckish, I ordered 20 FQs and received 23. I also go to the only LQS in my area, and have to watch the cutter like a hawk. She pulls the fabric very tight as she measures and cuts! When I measure at home, I'm always an inch or more short! Then swear I will never set foot in her shop again. But as a fabric addict, the smell and feel of new fabric is too powerful to resist!!!

leatheflea 12-23-2012 05:55 AM

Agree that they can be disapointing. Its buying someone elses scrap. When buying them I try not to count on them being the right size. In my opinion all precuts are this way. Once in a blue moon they'll be that one generous piece that restores our faith, so we buy more!

golfer 12-23-2012 06:09 AM

I like shops that tear the fabric. This way you get what you pay for.

mtngrl 12-23-2012 06:44 AM

I only buy FQ's for applique. I may need a little bit of a color and have run out or need a variety, the size doesn't really matter. For anything else I buy yardage.

damaquilts 12-23-2012 06:50 AM

I have taken to buying yardage,usually 2 if I can afford it if not then at least 1 . This is my way of thinking. I will always use it somehow, I have enough to finish what I want. If I don't use all of it I can always sell a fat quarter or two of it and recoup my money a little. When I cut my fabric down prior to wrapping on boards I did cut some FQ and a little bigger. Anything less got cut down. I just never saw the logic in buying FQ's.

GammaLou 12-23-2012 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by mtngrl (Post 5736179)
I only buy FQ's for applique. I may need a little bit of a color and have run out or need a variety, the size doesn't really matter. For anything else I buy yardage.

Ditto here...fat quarters are fine for applique pieces, but I always buy yardage for everything else. Need to be sure I don't have to make another trip to find what I need is now gone!

lfstamper 12-23-2012 07:27 AM

Even buying yardage you have to watch....not always straight and usually very skimpy. I buy extra just to be sure. I remember when you would get a yard and 1/8 for a yard! Those days are gone.

Judi in Ohio 12-23-2012 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by GammaLou (Post 5736251)
Ditto here...fat quarters are fine for applique pieces, but I always buy yardage for everything else. Need to be sure I don't have to make another trip to find what I need is now gone!

Ditto ditto. I just went to my lqs and had her cut 1/4 yd pieces for me as I needed some fresh blood in my quilt I am making. It seems I am liking the browned/grayed colors and I needed some brights. I do not buy fat quarters at all.