Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I'll never buy FQs again. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ill-never-buy-fqs-again-t209031.html)

Evie 12-23-2012 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by nygal (Post 5735086)
I noticed different sizes from a few that I've gotten from Connecting Threads. They weren't too bad but some were NOT as they should have been.

I got a jelly roll from CT that had at least six or seven wonky strips, which kinda screwed up my placemats. I contacted them and they issued a credit for the price of the jelly roll. Although it didn't help my project, it restored my confidence in their customer service.

quiltmom04 12-23-2012 07:44 AM

I've stopped buying them, too. As fun as they are all packaged so cute in triangles or whatever, I find the usefulness to be negligible. Inevitably I use just a part of them, and have some funky little part left over. If I'd have purchased at least a half yard ( as I've started to do now), there would be enough left over to be a useful part of another project.

MartiMorga 12-23-2012 08:05 AM

I agree, FQs are cute, but not really dependable. I also have not gotten my "boldness" up to tell a cutter she is incorrect. I will one day. And when I do, I will insist that she rip the beginning and then measure!

feffertim 12-23-2012 08:48 AM

I find that most pre cuts are not exact. I have had issues with layer cakes in particular which is a nuisance when making 1/2 sq triangles. I am beginning to think it is worth the extra effort to cut my own from yardage

GrannieAnnie 12-23-2012 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Sunnie (Post 5734974)
I decided to use some of my scraps and Fat Quarters for mug rugs. So as I press each one I am noticing how poorly cut the FQs are. Most of them I picked up at quilt shows so no one to yell at. I have pressed 8 so far and not one is squarely cut so that by the time I square them up I no longer have a FQ. So never again!!!

I will stick to buying yardage (even quarter yards) that I can watch being cut and if I am being shorted I will point it out before the cut.

Whoever cuts your fabric must do a fantastic job. I have to buy a half a yard to get a "square" quarter of a yard. NEVER straight or even.

Bjbaxter 12-23-2012 09:13 AM

One of my local quilt shops now puts a note on fat quarter bundles that the fat quarters may not be a full 18X22, since manufactures are not always producing fabrics that are 44 inches wide, so the fat quarters now vary from 20 to 22. And I'm sure you've noticed that some "layer cakes" and "jelly rolls" are not all equal in the number of pieces you get!

NUBQ 12-23-2012 09:28 AM

I thought tearing fabric and stretching it on the bias to square it up, was a thing of the past..Years ago I worked in yardage, and that's the way we sold yardage....when torn piece showed it all cattywancus, we did the stretch.. I still do it on some...works every time. It's when the pattern is not straight, I really have the problem...

Greeter Eva 12-23-2012 09:45 AM

I don't buy fat 1/4s , unless they have a very low price or if it's a color I really need. Here we buy fabric by the meter. So at first when we went metric , our fat 1/4s were 20 x22. Now they have changed to a fat 1/4 of a yard & I don't think that's fare cuz we pay more for a meter than a yard.

RedGarnet222 12-23-2012 09:52 AM

My thinking is that if the shops know that the new width of the fabric isn't gonna add up to a true fat quarter, they should cut it wider so the customer isn't getting shorted! That to me would show support of thier valued customers so they can stay in business. Good heaven's... DOn't they know we are the most important thing in thier shop?

MarleneC 12-23-2012 10:25 AM

Interesting-I was in Kaua'i in October and visited two fabric shops--I didn't buy anything. I did notice at one shop they used electric/battery scissors to cut the fabric. A new one on me. I didn't buy anything. I need a pattern or idea before buying fabric and couldn't find any that begged me to buy. I've never measured the FQs but since I have quite a stash I now realize that I should.