Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I'm about to kill my machine! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/im-about-kill-my-machine-t155815.html)

Quilting Dreamer 09-25-2011 04:35 PM

Just a question: How can you FMQ with the feed dogs up?

Lana
the Quilting Dreamer
Lansing, MI

simplyme 09-25-2011 04:41 PM

I have had this problem in the past too. You should always rethread and than change the needle. Even if it is a new needle change it again. Also, check to see if you are using the right needle for the thread you are using.

Lindsey 09-25-2011 04:45 PM

Use a large eye needle preferrably a denim needle. drive slow but go fast.. thats what I read.. Your machine should go faster then you push the fabric..

PaperPrincess 09-25-2011 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Quilting Dreamer

Lana
the Quilting Dreamer
Lansing, MI

Lots of folks swear by this method! i use a spring foot and there's a special setting on my machine for this foot. i noticed that each time it takes a stitch the feed dogs come up.

regarging the OP thread issue. I would try loosening the tension a bit.

LivelyLady 09-25-2011 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Quilting Dreamer

Lana
the Quilting Dreamer
Lansing, MI

I prefer to leave my feed dogs up when FMQ, you do that by putting your stitch length to "0".

wannaquilt1 09-25-2011 04:57 PM

ok i'll try changing the needle I've done everything else suggested on here already... i've changed thread, rethreaded many times, changed bobbin, done feed dogs up and down to no avail. I wonder if it's the needle or thread. the thread is just coats and clark from walmart and i just bought it but who knows maybe it sat there forever. it could also be catching on that plastic thing they cut out. i hate those things. i have tried 2 different spools but maybe i'll wind to a bobbin and put that on top and see if that helps? I'll answer that list of ? and see if this helps any :)

1) How old is your thread?

I just bought it but may have been sitting at the store?

2) What is your thread weight and what kind is it (ie cotton or poly, and who is manufacturer). Ditto the first two questions for the bobbin thread.

It's poly coats and clark all purpose thread.

3) What size needle are you using?

a topstitch needle

4) When was the last time you replaced your needle (in aprox hours of machine usage)?

i replaced it b4 starting this quilting.

5) Have you COMPLETELY re-threaded your machine? Remember, don't ever pull the thread out backwards through the tension discs to un-thread when the presser foot is down!! Always lift the presser foot first - or even better - snip the thread from the spool then pull the thread out from the needle through the machine.

Yes many times

6) What kind of batting are you using?

Poly high loft

7) What kind of machine are you using (make and model)?

Brother CS-6000

irishrose 09-25-2011 04:57 PM

I like the feed dogs up, too. I had some breakage problems earlier this week. The thread was much finer than my machine usually sews with and it just wouldn't behave. I adjusted the tension and the quilt's almost done without another hitch. Another problem - probably the main one was that I forgot which machine I was on and threaded it from the wrong side, but that won't apply to you.

sewwhat85 09-25-2011 05:25 PM

maybe try a bigger needle

DogHouseMom 09-25-2011 06:00 PM

Of all the questions you answered ...

I'm not familiar with the thread you are using. I've never FMQ'd with a poly so I have no idea if the type of thread might be your problem. Do you have any other thread available?

Other than that it could be your hand speed is too fast for your machine speed. Either slow your hand speed, or increase your machine speed. Your machine speed should remain a constant but your hand speed should slow down in curves.

Have you practiced FMQ on scrap sandwiches first? Are you familiar and comfortable with it? If not, I can't sress enough how much it helps to make practice sandwiches (same material, batting, needle and thread you are using) and get comfortable first. Don't expect to just jump into FMQ - it takes time. LOTS of time. Sure some are quicker than others, but it will still take many hours before you are even comfortable and uniform.

Good luck.

Dolphyngyrl 09-25-2011 06:23 PM

wrong needle thread combination is my guess, try a bigger needle