Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I'm a believer! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/im-believer-t217840.html)

michelleoc 03-31-2013 07:47 AM

Susan: I've used glue on a couple of my quilts recently, including the binding, and it has not created any problems with the needles. When sandwiching, I just sprinkle glue around, flatten out if there are any clumps so it isn't too think in one place, and let it dry overnight. For binding, I just put a few drops on and iron it. The heat will dry it so you can do the binding right away. The first time I did a quilt using this method, it was a full-size quilt. It was so nice not to have to worry about shifting when FMQing. The back of the quilt looked so good when I was finished (with no pleats or anything else) that my husband laughed at me doing a happy dance!

sewplease 03-31-2013 09:10 AM

And I love glue for joining rows together. Just lay the rows on the ironing board, add a few small drops of glue at a time to the bottom layer, match with top layer, a quick press of the iron and move on. It is great for matching seams and NO pins when sewing those long rows together. Absolutely great! :-)

Atomicdog 03-31-2013 09:17 AM

Question - I just found the spray basting stuff - it was glorious, but someone said to use this Elmers for basting the quilt/batt together - how much do you spread on? Do you dilute it and, like, paint it on or do you just dot it on??

Cindy

susanwilley 03-31-2013 02:32 PM

Thanks so much for all the info everyone! I'm gonna buy me some elmers glue. I'll be binding my quilt very soon and I guess that will be the best time to try it out.

susanwilley 03-31-2013 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Atomicdog (Post 5967685)
Question - I just found the spray basting stuff - it was glorious, but someone said to use this Elmers for basting the quilt/batt together - how much do you spread on? Do you dilute it and, like, paint it on or do you just dot it on??

Cindy

Cindy, I usually spray baste too, and it is glorious... except for the fumes. It sounds to me like it would be dotted on. I think I'm gonna give it a try.

Janice McC 03-31-2013 04:03 PM

This is an amazing idea! I knew I'd learn a lot once I started looking around! I've got a lap quilt to bind this week and I'm going to try the Elmers. Thank you!

Lilrain 03-31-2013 04:07 PM

With all the raving going on here, I must try it and soon

Buckeye Rose 03-31-2013 04:20 PM

I spread thin lines of glue onto the batting about 3" apart....just open the bottle nozzle completely open and hold upside down and go back and forth....sometimes the lines of glue turn into little dots and that is ok.....then lay down the fabric and smooth, then pat down into the glue....either iron dry or air dry....then do the next section

nursie76 03-31-2013 04:23 PM

FYI - Please make sure it is Elmers SCHOOL GLUE. It is water soluble and washes out. It works great!

Christine- 03-31-2013 04:56 PM

I may have to break down and try this!