Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I'm a believer! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/im-believer-t217840.html)

twinkie 04-01-2013 04:24 AM

Here is a tute that one of the members posted. http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...d-t217470.html

stitchinwitch 04-01-2013 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by ScrappyAZ (Post 5966562)
For months, I've read posts from people raving about using Elmer's Washable School Glue for quilting. I use Elmer's school glue for various craft projects but never thought it would work for quilting. Seriously...glue?? Well, today I gave it a try, not once but twice and it absolutely works! No more using pins and poking myself when binding, and no more buying fusible web for applique. Just a little bit of glue does the trick. I'm a believer and can't be more excited!

applique! 'never thought of that - ahhh no more fusible web sounds good to me!

drivingmsginger 04-01-2013 04:44 AM

Elmer's Glue tips

Originally Posted by stitchinwitch (Post 5969474)
applique! 'never thought of that - ahhh no more fusible web sounds good to me!

Does anyone know where she gets the fine tip for the glue she is using in the video?

applique 04-01-2013 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by Nammie to 7 (Post 5966647)
Never tried it - I think I'll ask at the guild to see if anyone there has tried it. Don't understand how to do it and am probably afraid of the long-term consequences. (if any)

It's just starch and washes out totally as long as you use the WASHABLE school glue. See Jan in VA post in Main today.

barri1 04-01-2013 04:55 AM

I tried it yesterday on the binding, and haven't sewn it, but it is laying perfect, and should be a breeze to sew. I didn't have the tip that would make it thinner, but I think it was thin enough.. Now what do I do with all the cans of spray baste I bought? Ughhhh

BellaBoo 04-01-2013 04:57 AM

I used glue on the first quilt I ever made back in the 80's. I couldn't baste without puckers so I glued the batting down. LOL. I put a thin line of glue in every other seam. I didn't use Elmers but a washable glue sold at Hancock's Fabric and I hand quilted the thing, just stayed away from the seams. I believe in using anything that will do the job with the results you want.

Rose Marie 04-01-2013 05:28 AM

For binding I prefer the little red clips. This way I can see the sewing line to follow. With glue you cant see your sewing line.

maviskw 04-01-2013 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by drivingmsginger (Post 5969511)
Does anyone know where she gets the fine tip for the glue she is using in the video?

www.purpledaisiesllc.com is a site that has fine glue tips for the Elmers School Glue bottles. They are out of stock right now, but when everyone starts ordering them, I'm sure they will get their act together and get some more. Look for "Liquid Stitch", and near there is the picture of 2 plastic tips for $6.95. (Liquid Stitch is not washable school glue. It is permanent.)
I purchased a bottle of Roxanne's Baste-It. Very expensive, but comes with the very fine metal tips. I'll just put Elmer's into it when it is empty. I dilute my glue to at least 50:50. Comes out of the bottle so much easier, is a lot easier on arthritic hands, and WORKS!
You don't need a lot: a few drops, lines, squiggles or such 3 or 4 inches apart will do the job.

Teeler 04-01-2013 05:51 AM

Alien- OMG that was the BEST toot I've seen yet! I'm having a HORRIBLE...HORRENDOUS ("terrible, awful, no good, very bad...") time with binding, and this was a nice one! I'm obviously doing it wrong, and Sharon's video was amazing! (And I didn't even have the sound on because I'm at work!) I will be watching it again and again until I can do her method. WOW...such a successful binding! (Yes, as a matter of fact, I AM that excited, and I DO have to end every sentence with an exclamation point.)
Thanks again!

narnianquilter 04-01-2013 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by barri1 (Post 5969531)
I tried it yesterday on the binding, and haven't sewn it, but it is laying perfect, and should be a breeze to sew. I didn't have the tip that would make it thinner, but I think it was thin enough.. Now what do I do with all the cans of spray baste I bought? Ughhhh

Lol send the spray baste to me! All my glue is used by my kids before it ever gets to the quilting table!