Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I'm getting it!!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/im-getting-t11498.html)

nanabirdmo 09-22-2008 10:26 AM

you guys are the best. i stopped smoking abuot 20 years ago and it was one of the best things i ever did for myself.
be gentle with yourselves and remember if you want a ciggy really bad just skip that one and worry about the next one later. i "skipped the next one" for about 6 months before i decided that i had finally quit.
i also asked god to make me willing to quit even if i didn't really want to. he did and here i am 20 years later. so hang in there all of you former smokers.

bluebird 09-22-2008 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by nanabirdmo
you guys are the best. i stopped smoking abuot 20 years ago and it was one of the best things i ever did for myself.
be gentle with yourselves and remember if you want a ciggy really bad just skip that one and worry about the next one later. i "skipped the next one" for about 6 months before i decided that i had finally quit.
i also asked god to make me willing to quit even if i didn't really want to. he did and here i am 20 years later. so hang in there all of you former smokers.

If we just stay focused ahead, what a reward to be smoke free! And yes, God is the biggest help. :D But, we still have our part to do. Glad you made it too. :wink:

Belinda 09-23-2008 02:33 AM

SEWJOYCE--that's the medicine the Dr. gave my Mother and it worked!! I've heard the same report from alot of other people too. So, good luck with it...you should do fine!
I LOVE that so many people are quiting...here in Illinois our no smoking in public places law went into effect in Jan. and it sure makes being in restaurants more comfortable for non-smokers and people with lung problems.
YAY!!!! for all of you that are quiting or have quit...here's a BIG PAT ON THE BACK...way to go!!!!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

sewjoyce 09-23-2008 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by Belinda
SEWJOYCE--that's the medicine the Dr. gave my Mother and it worked!! I've heard the same report from alot of other people too. So, good luck with it...you should do fine!
I LOVE that so many people are quiting...here in Illinois our no smoking in public places law went into effect in Jan. and it sure makes being in restaurants more comfortable for non-smokers and people with lung problems.
YAY!!!! for all of you that are quiting or have quit...here's a BIG PAT ON THE BACK...way to go!!!!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Thanks Belinda. I hope the Chantrix works as well for me as it did your mom! (I'm on my 4th day of it -- target quit date is this Saturday):D

laparshall 09-25-2008 08:58 AM

I quit 6 years ago on July 20. I went to a hypnotist. I'm not sure why that worked, but it did. None of the other methods I had ever tried lasted. But this time I made the decision to never ask for even one puff from any smokers I was around. My downfall in the past was OP's (other people's). I quit when my son and his wife were expecting my first grandchild. He is the 6 1/2 year old in my avatar lying on the quilt I made for him last Christmas. And it doesn't smell like smoke. I spend my extra money on quilting. But I can't imagine that I spent as much on smoking as I have spent on quilting. I guess I just switched my addiction. If I took a vote though, I'm sure my family would prefer my latest addiction.
Congratulations to all of you quilting quitters out there. Go Us!!!

Linda

GailG 09-26-2008 04:11 AM

I've read all of this about kicking the smoking habit. I've never, yes never, smoked, but kicking the eating habit is also very hard. I'm on weightwatchers for the FOURTH time. Losing weight would benefit my heart and my joints, but when that urge to stuff my mouth comes, it takes a lot of talking to myself. Yes, working in the sewing room which is away from the kitchen is a plus. Just yesterday I was working on that UFO challenge and my stomach was a-growlin'. I kept saying to myself, "just this one piece more." Then, I'd grab the next piece and say, "Ill do one more." When I noticed, it was mid-afternoon and I hadn't had lunch yet.
You smokers who are working on stopping, keep up the good work. We're all pulling for you.

sew_lulu 09-26-2008 04:36 AM

I am also a quiter. It's been 4 years for me. I still think about having one every now and then. Of course, I never let myself get that far. Stay strong!!! You can do it!!!

Knot Sew 09-26-2008 04:40 AM

I quit almost 6 years ago, and it is harder than anything else to accomplish. I used patches, gum all kinds of stuff, over a five year period and 10 stop smoking times. I still think about having a smoke, it just all of a sudden hit me.....I know it would be horrible so take a few deep breaths and get busy. I coughed about a year after I quit. I have Asthma with COPD....it appeared a year after I quit. I still can breathe better than when I smoked. I was a 35 year smoker. My one regret is that I did't do it sooner.

Don't let the cigarette companies win, this is one part of your life you can control.....you be the boss :wink:

Amy 09-26-2008 06:30 AM

:roll: I gave up smoking 20 yeras ago, never went back.I did it cold turkey.God helped me do it,I could not have done it alone......I wish you the best of luck,its worth it. Amy
P.S. EXERCISE does wonders,I walked around the block when I wanted to smoke..............

mfre42day 09-26-2008 09:16 AM

Gail,
I too have an eating thing. I did ww once on my own and lost 35 lbs I managed not to find for 5 years and a second time I did it and lost 30 lbs, then I fell and broke both elbows and I found the 30 lbs and more very quickly. WW is awesone, I love those shakes and their itty bitty snack bars, mostly though I love that the whole family can eat the same thing in different portions and that ya get to shop for the same stuff at the same place for everyone! You keep losing, I'll keep not smoking and then I'll join you when you are a lifetime member and I need to get there again!