Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I'm going nuts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/im-going-nuts-t35434.html)

Oklahoma Suzie 01-29-2010 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by belmer
I feel your pain girl......Same thing happened to me. So I went straight over to wal-mart and picked up a brother for 1$100 and read the manual.... I was sewing seams together that very same night. We cannot be without our machines, or we go CRAZY.

I could never go that long without one.

Quilter7x 01-29-2010 12:45 PM

Candace, I have the same machine and absolutely love it. I also have a Jem Platinum that I take to classes. It has 60 built in stitches and does a really nice job sewing. Maybe you might want to think of having a Jem Platinum as a back up machine. One thing I wish it had is a knee lift lever. Also it's only 12 lbs compared to 35 lbs for the MC 9000.

I am asbolutely feeling your pain as the MC 9000 was my only machine for many years. I always missed it when it went in for repairs.

Do you use the embroidery part of the machine? Where do you get memory cards? I've seen some of them on eBay for around $10, but I already have the ones they are offering. I don't necessarily need any cards, but it's always nice to know there are some somewhere.

I hope your machine gets serviced soon!

Candace 01-29-2010 12:45 PM

Yeah, I guess that's what I get for being choosey about what kind of back-up machine I want. Though part of the reason that I want a nice one is that I can see me using it more than as a back-up if I really like it.

Candace 01-29-2010 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Quilter7x
Candace, I have the same machine and absolutely love it. I also have a Jem Platinum that I take to classes. It has 60 built in stitches and does a really nice job sewing. Maybe you might want to think of having a Jem Platinum as a back up machine. One thing I wish it had is a knee lift lever. Also it's only 12 lbs compared to 35 lbs for the MC 9000.

I am asbolutely feeling your pain as the MC 9000 was my only machine for many years. I always missed it when it went in for repairs.

Do you use the embroidery part of the machine? Where do you get memory cards? I've seen some of them on eBay for around $10, but I already have the ones they are offering. I don't necessarily need any cards, but it's always nice to know there are some somewhere.

I hope your machine gets serviced soon!

Thanks:< Yes, that's why I've crossed this one off my list. I really must have that knee lift. I haven't used the embroidery function for several years as I mainly used it to make clothing for my kids. And my kids are now in high school, so... no need for Kipper and cutesy stuff! I have probably 20 cards or so. I also have the reader/writer but never really used it. The cards come up on ebay a lot.

I've found it to be an excellent machine and it does everything I want and need so have never felt the desire to "upgrade" it to a new model. But, yes, when you work on a great machine it's hard to find something comparable as a back-up. That's why I'm very open to an older machine with similar features. I'd get much more for the $ than new. Plus, I don't do classes so weight isn't an issue for me. I just hope they don't find anything wrong with it. Then I'll be crying for real instead of the virtual whining I'm doing now!

Lostn51 01-29-2010 01:14 PM

I usually charge $65 to tune up a machine and the usual turn around is 1 to 2 days depending what is involved. If its a restoration then of course the price goes up but I never have a shortage of vintage machines to work on around here.

But I agree with what you are saying some husbands and wives just do not understand the importance of maintenance for you sewing machine. Its no different then the regular maintenance on your vehicle. If you are on top of it then it should last darn near forever!

Billy

Shadow Dancer 01-29-2010 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Candace

Originally Posted by gaigai
I have a Janome, and you don't have to take yours only to a janome dealer. Find a good independent repair shop that handles all kinds of machines and call them. I'll bet they can get it done quicker, cheaper and more honestly!

There's only one shop in my town that does machine service. They sell Viking, and although they service other machines, again....I've spent up to 4 grand on my machine. I'm not going to cheap out on the service with someone who isn't a Janome dealer. If I spent $100 on the machine, I wouldn't necessarily care. But computerized, embroidery units are pricey and I'm not wanting to risk it. Plus the dealer I bought it from is great. I just hate this wait!!

I have a friend who is a Janome Authorized Dealer, there are no requirements to sell their machines, and they offer no training in repairing their machines. So any dealer who has a repair person employed, that person fixes sewing machines, they aren't trained by Janome to fix Janome machines.

Maride 01-29-2010 03:16 PM

I wouldn't feel comfortable having someone unauthorized in computerized (Janome) machines touching it. I've invested too much money in my machine to let anyone but my dealer touch it. My dealer doesn't seem to sell many used, trade-ins anymore. So, I'm keeping my eyes on Craig's list.[/quote]

He only do mechanical machines. Nothing computarized. He does a great job with those. I have a newer Bernina that he won't dare touch.

mamaw 01-29-2010 03:20 PM

IF that is where you bought your machine...did you consider asking if they have a loaner you could have til your machine is done?

martha jo 01-29-2010 03:24 PM

Now I don't feel so guilty about having so many machines. I wouldn't be able to take being without so long.

anglgrl 01-29-2010 03:38 PM

can you borrow someones like a loner, I have backup I keep everything when it comes to sewing.