Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I'm not too fussy about backing fabric--R U? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/im-not-too-fussy-about-backing-fabric-r-u-t47616.html)

Candace 05-30-2010 07:59 AM

I also tend to be fussy about my backing. I match it to the fabrics in the front. I put so much work into them I'm particular that they're "just right" in my eyes. I do piece them on occasion, but if the fabric matches the front, that's fine. I but LQS quality fabric yardage on sale just for the backing in mind.

cheryl222 05-30-2010 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by watterstide
i don't worry about them either, i try to use left over pieces from the front into the back..mixed with white muslin, or whatever i have on had.

i do use matching fabric for the backs of babys quilts..

i can't afford to use the wide backs or regular fabric to use on the backs..some take 5 or 6 yards..too much money.
muslin works just fine..

Ditto for me!

virtualbernie 05-30-2010 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by Cathie_R
I use a wide width muslin on the back. I hand quilt and find my stitches show much better on a plain muslin back. I don't care for the printed fabric on the back because the quilting pattern and stitches get lost.

I agree. That's what I use. Then I don't have to worry about matching the front! My quilts are meant to be used and the back does not show if you're sleeping under it. :lol: If I used a print backing then that would be one more thing I have to worry about matching the front!

sueisallaboutquilts 05-30-2010 09:30 AM

The things I panic about are not whether a quilt has a solid backing or different fabrics :D
Noooo, I save my panic for other things lololol
Since joining this board I've begun to think more about using up what I have rather than constant buying, which I did for quite a few years. The economy has hit us like lots of others and I'm kinda frugal by nature (except when it comes to fabric hahaha)
I'm currently backing a basket quilt I made with several different fabrics in my stash and feel good about it. :D
If I use coordinating fabrics(which I am) it can be reversible too!

BellaBoo 05-30-2010 09:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I use this method of making quilt backing. It's easy to piece any part of this method and it looks professional.

How to make a piece backing
[ATTACH=CONFIG]75705[/ATTACH]

sueisallaboutquilts 05-30-2010 09:36 AM

BellaBoo, I like that!! Thanks for sharing :D

virtualbernie 05-30-2010 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
I use this method of making quilt backing. It's easy to piece any part of this method and it looks professional.

Thanks BellaBoo. I've see this before but I lost my instructions!

Honey 05-30-2010 10:07 AM

I almost always use wide muslin for the back of my quilts. It wears well, is inexpensive and goes with anything. About the only exception is a baby quilt. Then I coordinate the fabric.

pollyjvan9 05-30-2010 10:34 AM

I really prefer to piece my backs. If it is an applique I will add an applique to the back, just something left over from cutting or piecing. Sometimes I just use large leftover pieces from the front to make really large patches.

Jingle 05-30-2010 10:54 AM

It's like everything else in life - there is no right or wrong thing. Do whatever suits you and try not to run other people down for how and what they do. It,s as personal as the pattern choice for the front.