Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I'm not too fussy about backing fabric--R U? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/im-not-too-fussy-about-backing-fabric-r-u-t47616.html)

Irishlady 06-01-2010 12:30 AM

As I am now retired and living on a low fixed income, any fabric I buy goes on the quilt top where it will be seen. I usually buy sheets from the charity shops for the back, or if I'm lucky I may be able to find a large piece of fabric in one of them, I've even used cotton curtains from the charity shop and the curtain linings make great foundation squares for string quilts.

Karyn 06-01-2010 03:26 AM

I like solid pieces of plain fabric or muslin for backing. If hand quilted, the are much more attraactive.(almost prettier than the pieced front)

SharonL 06-01-2010 04:13 AM

I grew up in the South with both my Grandmother and Great Grandmother quilting in the house. I, of course, couldn't be bothered then, silly me, but anyway, I was grown before I ever knew anybody used anything for backing except muslin and I am sure the backs must have been pieced. So, now in my old age, I don't worry too much about backing.

thseabreze 06-01-2010 04:44 AM

3 Attachment(s)
what are the pro's and con's of using a sheet for a backing?. I haven't tried it yet, but have wondered. I use muslin backing, so far, with one exception, I added a strip to each side and the top, of a same fabric I used on the front of a quilt..
I like the muslin feel, it is soft and hopefully, wears great! I also found at Joanne fabrics, a roll of batting, 20 yards by 59-60" wide...it was 39.99, and with the 40% coupon they always have, it came out almost half price. It would be great to use for baby quilts, or throws...I bought the poly batting, because I like the light weight feel. This is a disapearing 9 patch, and because her favorite color is lime green, her mother asked me to add that color...this is as close as I could fine a lime green.
This is how it was suppose to look, and then how it looked, finished.

backing pieced with same fabric used on the front.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]76653[/ATTACH]

before the blocks were sewn together.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]76654[/ATTACH]

finished quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]76655[/ATTACH]

newbee 06-01-2010 05:30 AM

I'm glad for the discussion about sheets. I recently discovered that a nearby thrift shop has a huge variety of 100 percent cotton sheets. I picked up some to use as backing. For example, I got a king-sized sheet for about $2. It has some pastel designs on it and would be a great backing for a kid's quilt. The sheet looks brand-new or at the very least lightly used.

SandyMac 06-01-2010 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by quiltmom04

Originally Posted by JJs
I use either wide fabric, pieced one fabric (say 5 yards of one fabric), or horrors - a sheet...
I had a woman say to me, "The back should be as good as the front - think about it, what gets the most WEAR - the front or back?".... she's right, the back is what gets the most wear...
I try to co-ordinate the front and back with regard to color and if I use a floral print (or other print) it 'goes with' what's on front - I don't want anything jarring, or incongruous... or slapdash...

I agree. I cringe whenever I hear someone say they buy "cheap' fabric for the back of a quilt. That's what I always say - "What gets the most wear?" just like YOU said. Plus, as I pull it up over me, I like to see something interesting - that's why I piece or use wild fabric for the back.

I truly never thought of it that way :oops:

Rachel 06-01-2010 06:41 AM

One of my favorite quilt backs is one I pieced from the leftover fabrics that I used in the front. It's like a reversible quilt.

in2stitchin 06-01-2010 12:24 PM

I buy beautiful quilt backs ... the fabric is between 108 and 120" wide. The highest price is $9.99/yd. The last time I went there they had them all for $5.99 to $6.99/yd. I bought a ton! Most of what they have is tone-on-tone marbled. They have some very rich colors, deep purples, greens, blues, etc.

judithb 06-01-2010 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by in2stitchin
I buy beautiful quilt backs ... the fabric is between 108 and 120" wide. The highest price is $9.99/yd. The last time I went there they had them all for $5.99 to $6.99/yd. I bought a ton! Most of what they have is tone-on-tone marbled. They have some very rich colors, deep purples, greens, blues, etc.

And your secret source is??????

in2stitchin 06-01-2010 12:45 PM

The store is called "FM Store" it is @ 1368 East Sunshine in Springfield, MO 65804.

It looks like a hole in the wall. But I get high quality quilting fabric AND the most beautiful quilt backs at very reasonable prices. I also bet my batting from him (it's a Dad and son business). They don't have a web site. The only way to shop there is in person.

Good Luck!