Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I'm a pickin' and grinnin' (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/im-pickin-grinnin-t47095.html)

marsye 05-27-2010 05:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by fish92241
An instructor was teaching us maple leaf paper piecing. She had made a whole quilt. Her husband said she had to do so many unsews, he thought the pattern was "ah, shit".

mrsreeves2 05-27-2010 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by erstan947
The lady that taught me to knit said "if you can't take the stitches out and make it correct, then don't knit". I remember that advice given me 52 years ago every time I unsew while working on a quilt. A good lesson to learn.

My grandmother taught me to knit after she took and adult ed class and learned. She passed on the advice "Be a cheerful ripper!" I don't do much knitting anymore but every time I pull the seam ripper out of the drawer I have to smile as I 'hear' grandma telling me, "Be a cheerful ripper, now!"

stillwaters 05-27-2010 08:25 AM

I think we all spend our share of time rippin' and swearin'! Or Pickin' and Grinnin' (if you are a Cheerful Ripper!)
Has anyone heard of using a beard trimmer (electric) to take out stitches???
I don't know where I once saw this - but it just came back to me while reading this thread.

GrammaNan 05-27-2010 08:27 AM

For me it was hours of "pickin' and cryin'" last night. I had to skin the same quilt twice yesterday.

craftybear 05-27-2010 09:24 AM

you will be glad that you took the time to fix it

weezie 05-27-2010 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by 0tis
Not really, but I have been busy un-picking about a billion tiny threads today. Didn't like the way my quilting was going - now time to re-group and try again..that is when my eyes and back recover. hahaha. Ah....the life of a quilter.

The first time I read this (quickly, I confess!) I thought you said, "time to re-group and try again, but this time with my eyes open". I thought that sounded wrong and I better re-read it, more slowly.

galvestonangel 05-27-2010 05:18 PM

I have had so much experience, I rip better than I sew.
If I am not pleased with something, I have teo choices: 1. Throw it away (I usually have too much invested) or 2. Rip it out. I try to be a cheerful ripper, it's just part of life.

sapdoggie 05-28-2010 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by pittsburgpam
I need to do that on the quilt that I have on the long arm right now. The quilting is horrible, I'm just not experienced enough to do the work that I WANT to do. I'm definately going to use a razor knife.

Back to simple quilts and quilting patterns, the "good" quilts will have to wait.

Simple is "good" too ;) ;) ;)

eleu16 05-28-2010 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
I spent all day yesterday cleaning my sewing room. At first I was excited, then I started to get overwhelmed, then mad, finally I just told myself " You need to stop for today b/c you are starting to hate everything around you". So believe it or not I did stop- closed the door and had dinner then watched the game but it only went 5 innings and got rained out :( Then I started hating baseball so I went to bed!!!! :D:D:D:D

LOL....there are days you start to hate everyting, because nothing works how it should....best solution...be lazy...read a book....or go out with friends and have some fun...could happen it doesn't work out either...you are left with only one solution go to bed and hope for a better day ...tomorrow ;-)

marsye 05-28-2010 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts

Originally Posted by marsye
Well how bout a little music while you work.

Is that Ernest Borgnine????????????

Yep :thumbup: