Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Inexpensive new mechanical machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/inexpensive-new-mechanical-machine-t288603.html)

Sephie 05-30-2017 08:02 AM

I'm not the OP, but I had considered buying a featherweight since I was looking for light and portable and mostly for piecing, but in considering the current price of them in my area ($400), plus it would probably need to be checked out by a repair shop and may require maintenance (minimum $100), and if it needed a new motor ($150 for the part) or other parts, the costs were just racking up. Combined with the fact that with a used machine purchased from an individual, there is no return policy, it wasn't worth the risk for me.

At least with a new (cheap) machine, it wasn't much upfront cost and I could return it if there were issues (which there have been for me). I knew Singers were cheaply made and not of good quality anymore, so I was prepared for problems at least :)

Cari-in-Oly 05-30-2017 09:23 AM

Check out the Eversewn machines. They're getting great reviews, a lot of machine for a smaller price point. There are 3 mechanical models, Sparrow 15, Maker 100 and Maker 200. Amazon sells them as well as some dealers.

Cari

Onebyone 05-30-2017 10:00 AM

Yes to Sparrow! I think I'm the only one in my guild that doesn't have one yet. LOL Everyone loves the Sparrow 25. The Sparrow Hero has embroidery. I'd buy the Hero for the auto thread cutter. The auto thread cutter saves me a lot of dollars in thread cost.

CanoePam 05-30-2017 12:59 PM

For less than $100 in most of the country, the OP could buy a Singer 201 in very good shape. This was the Cadillac of sewing machines when it came out, and it makes a beautiful straight stitch. It will also last until she gives it to grandchildren on her deathbed, assuming just a little bit of regular oiling. For less money, she can buy a Singer 66, another good machine. These don't have needle threaders or needle-down buttons, but they are rugged, easy to maintain, and just about bullet proof with a beautiful stitch quality. If you need portability and cuteness, the Singer 221 (Featherweight) is also a nice machine but not as rugged as the other two. I have two of each type, though I haven't used any of the 66s recently, and only one of the 201 and 221 get used. I really should thin the herd some.

cashs_mom 05-30-2017 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by CanoePam (Post 7834219)
For less than $100 in most of the country, the OP could buy a Singer 201 in very good shape. This was the Cadillac of sewing machines when it came out, and it makes a beautiful straight stitch. It will also last until she gives it to grandchildren on her deathbed, assuming just a little bit of regular oiling. For less money, she can buy a Singer 66, another good machine. These don't have needle threaders or needle-down buttons, but they are rugged, easy to maintain, and just about bullet proof with a beautiful stitch quality. If you need portability and cuteness, the Singer 221 (Featherweight) is also a nice machine but not as rugged as the other two. I have two of each type, though I haven't used any of the 66s recently, and only one of the 201 and 221 get used. I really should thin the herd some.

The old Singers are great for straight stitching. True, they don't have needle down or needle threaders, but on the other hand, you can pick up a 201 or 301 fairly cheaply. I have my mother's 1956 or 57 301a and it's still just stitching along after 60 years with very little maintenance. I love to piece on that machine.

Stitchnripper 05-30-2017 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by CanoePam (Post 7834219)

all true with an exception. I have collected a bunch of nice vintage machines but the big but is that when I wanted one I didn't just run down to the store and get one. Some of the ones took years to locate in good condition for a price I was willing to pay. So if the OP wants a basic machine any time soon and doesn't come across a nice vintage one she will not be doing any sewing at all. And we have read the horror stories of shipping from eBay and shop goodwill. Just my point of view from my own experience.

AVFD215 05-30-2017 01:06 PM

I have used a Janome 128 (or 3128 the same machine) for piecing. It has served me well.

bearisgray 05-30-2017 01:35 PM

Any opinions about the old Singer 404? It is a straight stitch only, slant needle machine -

My son used one - and it seemed relatively hard to mess up.

Cari-in-Oly 05-30-2017 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray (Post 7834242)
Any opinions about the old Singer 404? It is a straight stitch only, slant needle machine -

My son used one - and it seemed relatively hard to mess up.

Also a great machine. I hesitated to mention vintage machines because the OP didn't ask about them.

Cari

Thats_It_I_Quilt 05-30-2017 03:26 PM

I have had a good experience with the Janome HD3000 there is also tge HD1000.