Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Inflated yardage requirements (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/inflated-yardage-requirements-t133957.html)

seamstome 06-29-2011 04:40 AM

I have had both situations happen within the last month or two. The waste in the cuts on the one pattern was unreal. Really if you werent advertising a specific brand of fabric in your pattern would you really cut it that way!

Mistakes in patterns drive me nuts. I know we are all human but I am paying money for their expertise.

PaperPrincess 06-29-2011 04:40 AM

I agree with the over estimates. I have only done one quilt 100% from a pattern. It was for a twin and I had enough for an additional 60 X 60 throw. Fortunately, I liked the fabric!

gaigai 06-29-2011 04:55 AM

I'm not sure I understand the problem? So what you are saying is that extra fabric is bad? That you will never use that fabric for anything ever again? Sorry, I don't see a problem here. But then I tend to not buy less than 4-6 yards of anything, and often buy whole bolts. Anything less than a yard is scrap and is usually thrown away.

Raggiemom 06-29-2011 04:58 AM

I think I've really only had lots extra with one pattern. But I agree, when I buy a pattern, I'm paying for their expertise and I don't really want lots left over.

emsgranny 06-29-2011 05:02 AM

I like the idea of extra fabric for the pieced backing but I am like you - If I purchase the line of fabric (which usually cost a lot more than I usually pay per yard) I dont want to pay for "extra" especially that much. I dont buy kits yet. I think this thread is letting me know not to lol thanks cheryl :thumbup:

MYWR 06-29-2011 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by seamstome
I have had both situations happen within the last month or two. The waste in the cuts on the one pattern was unreal. Really if you werent advertising a specific brand of fabric in your pattern would you really cut it that way!

Mistakes in patterns drive me nuts. I know we are all human but I am paying money for their expertise.

I have bought one pattern/kit. We were in Alaska and
DH noticed a quilt on the wall - and he is usually not quite as enthalled - so I got it and am about to finish the top - figured it was a good Memento from the trip. Maybe I just don't follow directions well - but there was a great deal left over and I was not happy with the piecing - I did a lot of ripping and re stitching - but NEVER AGAIN !!! I like mine better ! I just couldn't duplicate the panels on this quilt

SusieQuilter 06-29-2011 06:23 AM

You know I discovered a similar problem last nite. I was piecing a top that was "supposed" to fit a twin bed using the guide that my LQS gives out. Low and behold I now have a top big enough to fit my full size bed - and that's without borders!!!! Upon closer inspection I found that all the measurements for twin, full, and queen sizes were all one off - I have been using the guide for weeks :( I have so much extra fabric I won't need to buy any for months. Clever ploy or simple mistake???

Glassquilt 06-29-2011 07:37 AM

That happens on EQ. The program is not sophisticated enough to correctly calculate any shape other than a rectangle, a square, a half triangle or a quarter triangle. It seems to assume that any shape, like a diamond is really a rectangle that needs to have corners cut off. If the quilt designer is more of an artist than a mathematician, she or he may rely on this type of estimating.

If I couldn't easily figure the yardage myself I'd rather have extra than be short. Have been through the panic of not having enough.

seamstome 06-29-2011 09:57 AM

No I dont want extra fabric. When I am doing the project, I am figuring the cost of that project and it is like they are forcing you to spend more than necessary. Then you get a bunch extra of one or two of the fabrics, maybe not your favorite. If I want fabric for a stash, then I buy for a stash and that is voluntary.

Jingle 06-29-2011 11:48 AM

I bought a kit and had plenty for a large quilt, a scrappy quilt and a backing for the karger quilt. Thought the price was okay, fabric was top quality.