Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Inflated yardage requirements (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/inflated-yardage-requirements-t133957.html)

Drew 06-30-2011 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by gaigai
I'm not sure I understand the problem? So what you are saying is that extra fabric is bad? That you will never use that fabric for anything ever again? Sorry, I don't see a problem here. But then I tend to not buy less than 4-6 yards of anything, and often buy whole bolts. Anything less than a yard is scrap and is usually thrown away.

OMG, throw it my way, please!!

Aurora 06-30-2011 04:12 AM

I never buy the fabric suggested for a specific pattern, primarily because it is not available locally.

Aurora 06-30-2011 04:16 AM

I never buy the fabric suggested for a specific pattern, primarily because it is not available locally. If it were available, I would probably purchase it.

Jennifer22206 06-30-2011 04:23 AM

Personally, I don't mind having more than what's called for. I've purchased a few kits, one was so far under the yardage required it wasn't even funny, and the other 3 or so had enough left over I could piece most of the backing. To me, that's not wasteful if I can get a "free" backing out of what was supposed to be just the top and binding.

vickimc 06-30-2011 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by GingerK
I have had the opposite problem. I purchased a kit from a very reputable company's website. Didn't open and measure every piece right away tho. When I got around to making the quilt, about a year later, I found that the kit was short by a significant amount--so much infact, that I had to substitute one piece of fabric completely and recalculate sashing thru-out--I had less than an inch left of the sashing fabric!! I emailed the company and never heard a single word back. Will never ever buy from them again!!

When I'm buying fabric for a pattern, I usually buy a quarter yard extra in case of 'wrong-headed' cutting.

I tend to have this problem, too. being shorted. Now I do like to get a little extra when I pick out the fabric, because I know I make cutting mistakes. really, I do. LOL

krisgray 06-30-2011 04:39 AM

My LQS owner just made a sample from a fabric designer's pattern and found that by altering the cutting directions she could reduce the required amount of fabric by about 2 yds. That means the kits will be less $$$, and more likely to sell.

Steady Stiching 06-30-2011 04:40 AM

I'd love the name of the companies that sold kits that were short or close to short. I'd like to avoid them.
I've never bought a kit, because I am afraid of running out. I do true up my fabric and there is a small amout of waste. And I have been known to wobble on occasion when cutting a long strip

Pbecker 06-30-2011 05:59 AM

There are apps available, many free, that will help calculate yardage for sashing and backing.

brushandthimble 06-30-2011 06:09 AM

If you are really throwing away that large a piece PLEASE throw it my way:)

Originally Posted by gaigai
I'm not sure I understand the problem? So what you are saying is that extra fabric is bad? That you will never use that fabric for anything ever again? Sorry, I don't see a problem here. But then I tend to not buy less than 4-6 yards of anything, and often buy whole bolts. Anything less than a yard is scrap and is usually thrown away.

DebraK 06-30-2011 06:11 AM

That only happened to me once, but I loved being able to piece a back from the extra fabric. It was a kit that I think was cut wrong, because the backing wasn't supposed to be included.