Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Interesting article re: Chain stores vs LQS (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/interesting-article-re-chain-stores-vs-lqs-t176106.html)

BellaBoo 01-18-2012 10:43 PM

I've been to dozens of quilt shops all over the US. I can count on one hand the shops that I would want to revisit. Most are unfriendly and and have employees and owners that are quilt news ignorant.

Peckish 01-19-2012 02:33 PM

I think there is room in the quilting industry for both chains and local quilt shops. They both serve a purpose and have their own strong customer base.
I also don't think either has a lock on rude employees. It's the same with quilt guilds - there are some that are warm and welcoming, and some that are snooty and exclusive. It depends on what's tolerated within the group. If rudeness to customers is tolerated at a quilt shop, that shop will lose business. Same goes for a quilt guild - if unfriendliness and intolerance (aka the Quilt Police) are tolerated, new members will go elsewhere and others will drop out.

Doreen 01-19-2012 02:39 PM

The LQS that most of us used to go to closed. Joanne's changed managers and the one lady that is still there is so rude! I prefer to shop online!

Sandra in Minnesota 01-19-2012 04:37 PM

Thanks for the very interesting article.

ChaiQuilter 01-19-2012 05:51 PM

Related to the article you linked to: 70% of all internet Christmas sales were through WalMart, Amazon, or Target. The biggies are not only pushing out brick and mortar stores, they are crushing smaller etailers.

gramma nancy 01-19-2012 07:19 PM

Fascinating analysis. Thank you for posting.

carla m 01-19-2012 08:02 PM

i buy at all three although i must admit i dont spend as much at the lqs as i used to. i do still buy some fabric there and i have 99 percent of my la quilting done there. i used to buy more when she had classes but she stopped having them and although when im elsewhere i do love to go to quilt shops due to the economy i dont purchase as much. i live in a rural area we have a walmart which hardly ever seems to have much and the 1 lqs although sometimes i drive to another walmart thats in a small town 30-45 min away that has a huge selection and very nice competent help to take care of you. i like to go to joanns however its a bit over an hour away and unless i have a big list or happen to go to that town for another reason its not worth the gas to make the trip i shop alot online.
carla m

jcrow 01-19-2012 08:19 PM

I love my LQS. I live over an hour and a half away and she always asks if it's okay to wait on everyone else before me. Then she and I get down to business. She helps me figure out what I want to make and what choices look good together. We also visit about our lives and what's going on at home. I call her and ask her to mail me fabric and other notions and she does right away. I send her Christmas cards every year. I call her quite a bit for advice and she always has time to chit chat with me. I feel like we are very good friends. She says I'm one of her favorite customers (I don't know why) and so, of course, I always go to her shop. I have shops closer but I chose her's because of her customer friendship (I think that's what I can call it). She always gives me 15% off because I drive so far to her place. And she gives me good deals when I'm deciding if I can afford something or not. She also shows me new ways of doing things. I really appreciate that. To me, she's my best friend in the quilting world. I don't think I would be the quilter I am today if it wasn't for her. And she told me I am one of the best quilters she knows (which I don't believe for a second, but that's how she is) and I leave there feeling good about myself.

Grambi 01-19-2012 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by ChaiQuilter (Post 4891480)
Related to the article you linked to: 70% of all internet Christmas sales were through WalMart, Amazon, or Target. The biggies are not only pushing out brick and mortar stores, they are crushing smaller etailers.

I believe that's their goal.

Grambi 01-19-2012 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by jcrow (Post 4891861)
I love my LQS. I live over an hour and a half away and she always asks if it's okay to wait on everyone else before me. Then she and I get down to business. She helps me figure out what I want to make and what choices look good together. We also visit about our lives and what's going on at home. I call her and ask her to mail me fabric and other notions and she does right away. I send her Christmas cards every year. I call her quite a bit for advice and she always has time to chit chat with me. I feel like we are very good friends. She says I'm one of her favorite customers (I don't know why) and so, of course, I always go to her shop. I have shops closer but I chose her's because of her customer friendship (I think that's what I can call it). She always gives me 15% off because I drive so far to her place. And she gives me good deals when I'm deciding if I can afford something or not. She also shows me new ways of doing things. I really appreciate that. To me, she's my best friend in the quilting world. I don't think I would be the quilter I am today if it wasn't for her. And she told me I am one of the best quilters she knows (which I don't believe for a second, but that's how she is) and I leave there feeling good about myself.

Wow--I'd travel across the state to spend money in her store. I love the people in all my LQS's but you found the cream of the crop.