Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Interesting article re: Chain stores vs LQS

Blog Entries

Interesting article re: Chain stores vs LQS

Interesting synopsis here of an article published in a trade magazine. Food for thought.

http://blog.londasfiles.com/?p=1131

Blog Entries
    Very interesting indeed! I'd rather shop at my LQS any day...I've about had it with the lousy service of most chain stores. When I go to one of my LQSs I feel like they are interested in what I'm doing and make an effort to help me find what I want. Customer service...who knew?

Quote Originally Posted by BRenea View Post
    Very interesting indeed! I'd rather shop at my LQS any day...I've about had it with the lousy service of most chain stores. When I go to one of my LQSs I feel like they are interested in what I'm doing and make an effort to help me find what I want. Customer service...who knew?
    I've had the opposite experience. At my local Joann's, the employees are really nice to me and give great service while at the LQS nearest to me, they won't even lower themselves to speak to me.

Blog Entries
    different places have different customer service- regardless of whether its a big store- or a little one-there are good and bad in both=
    if you are lucky enough to have a good big store- good for you- that is wonderful- though not the case everywhere-
    but then again- some lqs are wonderful- my favorite one treats my hubby like he's the most valued customer to come through the door when he does---but we used to have a different one-that was not like that at all- in fact our first year together he visited the (not so nice one) to buy me stocking stuffers---he was treated so poorly right through the door that he left without spending a dime- he went to the other one and spent over $200===the first one could have had that sale had she been receptive to a man coming through the door-
    the second shop the ladies took him right under their wing- showed him gadgets- things they thought i needed- ect- he enjoyed the experience and has no problem stopping in when he wants to surprise me- the first shop=he won't even pull into the parking lot---
    everywhere is different- big or small
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

That was a very interesting article which I plan to pass on to some of my quilting buddies that don't belong to this great site... My main concern is that fabric quality not be compromised - the price of cotton is going up and we will see this in the price of a yard of fabric over the next year...if not already for some quilters. I have found in my area that Joann's fabric is not as well made as the fabric in my LQS. I get much better help at my LQS in picking out fabric, having discussions about tone and hue, etc...plus they have classes at my LQS. I go with my LQS over Joann's fabric anyday. Alas not everyone has this choice so I am happy that Walmart, Joann's etc are providing fabric for people who do not have a LQS. Hopefully they will provide good quality cottons.

I have a couple LQS that I shop at on a regular basis and a Joann's Both quilt shops I have taken classes at. At all three places they know me by name. I have no problems with any of them and they all carry diffrent yardage. One LQS and the Joann's are a 2 hr drive one way so when I go I usually have a very log list to both shops. Maybe thats why they know me! LOL I have told all 3 that I'm not buying fabric untill my stash is used down and is more managable, they all laughed at me! They know me well! Wall -Mart has some fabric but I havent found anything like my LQS or Joann's. The people working there are friendly and very helpful too.

Thanks. That was an interesting article.
    I have chosen to be happy because it is good for my health - Voltaire

Our local quilt shop that was seven miles from me closed last year due to the owners having a disagreement. I really miss it. The next nearest quilt shop is AWFUL. They don't even acknowledge when you walk in the door and if it happens to be near lunch hour when you go in be prepared for disguist from the workers when you interrupt their lunch.

I hate going there! Guess I'll just have to save up and go to Mary Jo's a few extra times a year! There service is great and the selection OH MY!

I have found more rude service at the LQS's in my area than at any of the chain stores. I have been to one LQS, 50 miles away, that actually spoke to me before I got to the cutting table. That store is fabulous, but in a town I rarely go to. I frequent 4 different JA's, depending on which town I'm in. All of them have great service. There is one Wal-Mart that has fabric. Some of it is nice, but service varies. Sometimes you can get help, sometimes not. It has been a lot better since I complained a couple months ago. I'm not tolerant of rude service. Too many LQS's have been out right rude to me. I might go back one more time, to see if it was a freak, but it has always happened again. I see no reason to "support my LQS" if they cant compete on ANY level with JA.

The economy has forced me to use what I have. I used to pop into Walmart and buy things on impulse becuase I was there. Now that I have gotten out of that habit I save a lot of money buying junk. The few Walmarts that now have fabric are impossible to find someone to cut the fabric. And when I go to the LQS to buy something they are very cold to me now that I don't spend as much money there. I will say that the Joann's I go to has really cleaned up their act. I am greeted by each employee as I pass them in the store. I am waited on MUCH quicker at the cutting table and when I check out. Its a pleasant experience to go to Joann's.

Blog Entries
    We have many LQS around us, all of which have great customer service. I don't buy fabric at JoAnns because they don't carry brands I like to use.

I've been telling people for 5 years that you can get good fabrics at Walmart....but you can also get junk. The same goes for JoAnn's and LQS. I saw a great collection at Walmart the other day, nice fabric at $5.94/yd. I had to keep walking as the budget wouldn't allow for another fabric purchase right now, but I will go back. When I need basics for the stash, I wait for my JoAnn's 50% coupon and fill up on solids and blenders. LQS gets my business when I need something special or need quilting questions answered. I simply cannot make quilts with fabric that is $10/yd and up.

Thanks for the info. It's interesting to see what the chains are doing my WalMart nearby shows no sign of getting the fabric back in. There are a couple of quilting shops nearby and Joanne's prices have gone way up the coupons puts us on a fair playing field if things aren't so expensive people would be able to buy more but the prices keep us dying to spend but you can only spend so much money on fabric I hate their high prices. Sue

I shop at Walmart, I don't but to much there, and I usually have to ring a bell for service, but I am a patient person. I also shop at JoAnns, and when I walk in I am usually referred to by name, great service, well for a little while any way, the company has decided to close my local JoAnns down in April. I also go to the LQS and I have to say, I feel like a outsider, no one approaches me unless I take fabric to be cut I would not even be spoken to. I have had this experience at one shop at least 3 times in the last year. But I guess I am not looking for friends, just fabric.
    Dyan

I really like to shop anywhere but Walmart for fabric. JoAnn's here has great women working now and they are very helpful. Also Hobby Lobby - always nice and during the day, usually helpful. LQS in Rockledge is beyond helpful -- they are the very best of the best!!
    Nana Jan
    Friendships are gifts from God that should be cherished and nourished

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    The LQS's are snooty around here unless your a big spender, then, they become your best friend....

I shop Joannes for notions, minky and flannel but I always have a coupon... Ive picked up fleece at Walmart and some buttons and notions if they are on sale but my Wally World has icky fabric still- stiff and thin.. Hobby Lobby has cute kid fabrics that ive been pleased with.. Not LQS high end stuff but still nice enough to use.. Cant say I've gotten anything at Michael's.. I dont think they even carry fabric...

I do local shop hops 3 or 4 times a year and that's only because I can get 25% off my purchase otherwise I dont ever step foot in our local LQS..

There is a fabric store that's not a lqs nor a box store but he gets last years bolts for a steal and passes on the savings to his customers.. I usually shop there if im looking for something specific.. He always says hello and stops what hes doing and makes conversation...
    Last edited by luvTooQuilt; 01-18-2012 at 06:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltMania View Post
    I've had the opposite experience. At my local Joann's, the employees are really nice to me and give great service while at the LQS nearest to me, they won't even lower themselves to speak to me.
    I agree. I've spent a lot of time and money at JoAnns and have always been treated with the utmost respect. The employees at my JoAnns treat all the customers as if they are the most important people in the world. Some of the lqs, on the other hand, treat the customers as if they are doing a favor to you when they wait on you.
    Jan

Blog Entries
    Thanks for sharing that article. I didn't realize Fabric.com had been purchased by Amazon! I wondered why when I was searching for fabrics, Amazon would come up in the search and it was always being sold by Fabric.com. Aha!!
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

Blog Entries
    I love the selection that Jo-Ann's has, but I perfer Hobby Lobby because of the customer service. The guy (yes guy) that cuts my fabric always talks to me and is very friendly. He even takes me around the dept. and shows me the new fabric.
    ~Charlotte~
    This is the day that the Lord hath made, we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Blog Entries
    I love my Joann's-I regularly shop at two of them, and occasionally will go to the superstore about 1 1/2 hrs away (which I did last weekend!). The people are always courteous, friendly, and while not always knowledgable about quilting, I don't go there for advise-just fabric and notions-and spend the time with the sales flyers and coupons (plus my extra 10% off from QCA) to get the best prices. There are good quality brands of quilting fabric that are $9.99-$12.99/yard, but I always wait until the best sales and manage to get at least 50% off. I also scour the clearance/Red Tag table-especially when they offer an additional 50% off the clearance/red tag price. I have bought fabrics normally 9.99/yd for $3.00-and then they take the additional 10% off! So, yes, I love my Joann's. I am now into making purses to sell to help use up some of these fabrics!!

Blog Entries
    I've been to dozens of quilt shops all over the US. I can count on one hand the shops that I would want to revisit. Most are unfriendly and and have employees and owners that are quilt news ignorant.
    Got fabric?

Blog Entries
    I think there is room in the quilting industry for both chains and local quilt shops. They both serve a purpose and have their own strong customer base.
    I also don't think either has a lock on rude employees. It's the same with quilt guilds - there are some that are warm and welcoming, and some that are snooty and exclusive. It depends on what's tolerated within the group. If rudeness to customers is tolerated at a quilt shop, that shop will lose business. Same goes for a quilt guild - if unfriendliness and intolerance (aka the Quilt Police) are tolerated, new members will go elsewhere and others will drop out.

The LQS that most of us used to go to closed. Joanne's changed managers and the one lady that is still there is so rude! I prefer to shop online!

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the very interesting article.

Related to the article you linked to: 70% of all internet Christmas sales were through WalMart, Amazon, or Target. The biggies are not only pushing out brick and mortar stores, they are crushing smaller etailers.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast