Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: dumpster quilts-interesting article

Blog Entries

Blog Entries
    I read the article. How sad that someone had thrown these quilts away and how wonderful that they were rescued by someone who appreciated them. There should be a place to send unwanted quilts so they can be forwarded to loving homes!

So glad they were rescued.

Blog Entries
    I will never understand how people can just throw anything that was made with love in any generation!

Love the story. Why would anybody through away a quilt?

Blog Entries
    It is stories like this that makes me keep my eyes open for a chance to help someone. I know when I am gone our kids won't care about many of our keepsakes.

Blog Entries
    What a great idea!

"There should be a place to send unwanted quilts so they can be forwarded to loving homes!"

I'm so glad they were rescued.

Blog Entries
    i can't even imagine throwing away quilts such as those!

Blog Entries
    I still have a beautiful braided rug that I pulled out of a dumpster about 8 or 9 years ago. Brought it home, washed it up and have used it ever since! Just don't understand why people do what they do.

Blog Entries
    Such beautiful pieces of history!!! I wonder if the people who threw the quilts away saw the newspaper article.

What a happy ending for someone's hard work

That is amazing.

QM
    When I was a teen and well into my adulthood, Dad and I were in the habit of dumpster diving. No quilts, but amoung the things that we got were $3000 worth of lace and antiques we sold for our church, a complete and functioning very early Lionel train set, an entire set of good quality kitchen cabinets which became my first sewing room, a dumpster load of very good children's clothing, books, toys, etc. As a side to his previous job in charge of maintenance and A/C, DH was asked to remove and dump things left in an upscale apartment complex. This included TWO fine cedar chests, an entire truckload of fancy children's clothing from a fancy boutique, complete with the original price tags (we presume they were the previous year's models). Each of these items was found a good home. I have long since stopped being surprised by what people throw out.

Great story!
    Maire

I guess it really is true..."One man's trash, is another man's treasure". Thank you for sharing this story.

The quilts were recovered in 2007, I wonder if she ever found a place to have them displayed? :?:

My DH and I both do stained glass, him more than I do. Well, we got a call to come get some stained glass that someone wanted to get rid of. Okay. We go and here is a WHOLE room full of stained glass. They were going to just dig a hole and dump it. We took a load to the stained glass store, kept some for ourselve and we still have at least one more load to go get. Amazing what people want to toss. And it is all free.

Once I was at an auction and in a box was a pretty Log Cabin quilt. I picked it up and noticed the whole center was covered with old oil spots! The owner was standing there and she told me her husband used quilt to change oil in tractor one day while she was in town shopping!

Quote Originally Posted by gigi4419
    Once I was at an auction and in a box was a pretty Log Cabin quilt. I picked it up and noticed the whole center was covered with old oil spots! The owner was standing there and she told me her husband used quilt to change oil in tractor one day while she was in town shopping!
    I must assume she was having the auction because her husband was now "missing"! Wow, her husband was clueless!