Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Which iron is best for quilting? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/iron-best-quilting-t83656.html)

mtnmama 12-19-2010 07:50 AM

I have one rowenta, it is Ok for ironing clothes, but not worth the money that was spent on it. I also have a Panasonic cordless one that I thought would be great because of no cord. The cordless one doesn't get hot enough and has the auto cut off. It seems like each time I sew, then get up to press, it has turned itself off and I have to wait for it to heat (somewhat) up again. I think my next one will be a midrange priced Black & Decker or Shark from Wal-Mart.

clipper35 12-19-2010 07:53 AM

I bought a Rowenta at Costco 6 or 7 years ago and I love it,I've never had any problem with it and if it goes out I will be heading back to Costco to get another one, its nice and heavy the the steam works perfect, I use it almost every day.

leaha 12-19-2010 08:02 AM

I have a rowenta aND i LOVE IT I've had it about 10 years or so, have never had a single problem with it! got it at costco in AK. works great, get nice and hot and no leaks, would get another one, you bet!

Scissor Queen 12-19-2010 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by bunniequilter
Unlike alot of quilters, I like the old heavy irons with a nonteflon coating. I spent about 60.00 for a good modern iron, light weight teflon coated etc. I wore the teflon right off and the iron didn't heat very well. I go to thrift shops and buy the old heavy irons for a few dollars, have the cord replaced and use them till they wear out. My last thrift shop iron was old to begin with and I have used it now for alomst 6 years and it's the best iron I have ever had.

I LOVE my vintage iron!! I searched ebay since where I lived there wasn't much for a second hand store. I found a new in the box, early 60's GE. Since it was brand new I didn't worry about replacing the cord.

humbird 12-19-2010 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by leaha
I have a rowenta aND i LOVE IT I've had it about 10 years or so, have never had a single problem with it! got it at costco in AK. works great, get nice and hot and no leaks, would get another one, you bet!

Same here. I got another iron, (cheepy) to have a back up, bucause I heard bad things about Rowenta. Gave the back up to DGD a couple years ago........still in the box.....had no need for it.

catrancher 12-19-2010 09:16 AM

I have a Black & Decker that works well--no steam though--I don't like it. I hate it's auto shut-off. I asked for an Oliso for Christmas. I have problems with my wrist and a heavy one makes my pain flare-up. I like the Oliso because I don't have to lift it up. It has some little risers on it or something. I've read both good and bad. I'm hoping I'll get one that works well. Also, I have a Black & Decker travel iron that I take in our RV. It works great!

joeyoz 12-19-2010 09:31 AM

I have a T-Fal. Works great.

Quilter2B 12-19-2010 09:52 AM

I always went with the cheaper lighter weight ones but my most recent one is a Rowenta Effective that I paid $40 for. I really like it because the no-steam allows me to get close to my fingers when I am folding over a seam.

Silver Sandy 12-19-2010 10:55 AM

I have two Rowentas; one is full size and the other is a small folding travel one that I used for quilting (and actually for everything else). I love it. It gets hot to press those seams and with coupons at JoAnns, it's a great buy

LivelyLady 12-19-2010 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Yankee Quilter
Someone once told me that any iron will last forever, if you don't put water in it. After throwing out many irons, I tried this. I'm using a cheap panasonic with auto shut-off & cord winder reel. I don't put water in it. I keep a spray bottle near the ironing board and use it for wrinkles. Works like a charm. I'm also getting to be a huge fan of spray sizing or spray starch. It has improved my cutting and piecing.

I'm a great believer in using starch......and another advantage is if you mark a quilt for quilting, when you wash it the markings come off right with the starch.