Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Iron on or Off in between sewing squares (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/iron-off-between-sewing-squares-t22673.html)

vickig626 07-16-2009 05:28 AM

I have one iron that turns off after a few minutes which works well for me. Then when I'm done for the day, I manually shut it off. But, I also have a small iron I keep by my sewing machine that's great for piecing. I leave it on while I'm working then turn it off when I'm going to be away from it for a while. To remind me that it's on, I put a hair scrunchy on my wrist as a reminder. I had to do that when I left it on overnight ( :shock:
hope this helps !!

Debbie1 07-16-2009 05:33 AM

My stays on the whole time. But it does shut off automatically if I haven't used it for a while.

butterflywing 07-16-2009 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by vandeaner
has anyone ever had problems with spray sizing? Ironing board is set up on a wood floor never thought anytning of the overspray--didn't see it didn't bother me! oops big trouble when I put the board away--both DH and myself have had major slips and falls in that area. of course I will never admit the reason for the slippery floor. Put a rug over it and all is well!!!

i have a tile floor in the laundry room. same problem.

butterflywing 07-16-2009 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by blahel
i am different to everybody else..i do as much sewing as I can and then do a heap at once and then turn the iron off. My iron is in the laundry and my sewing machine in the lounge and they arent next to each other but i like the idea of having to get up and stretch regularly too! I also dont like big power bills...

same here. iron in the laundry room, machine in the ..hhmm..other room.

love to stretch, auto shut-off.

weezie 07-16-2009 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by lfw045
I finger press.......then press when the top is finished. That way I don't have to worry with it......it's faster that way too.

Isn't it nice we don't all do things the same way.......lol.

Me, too! Exactly that. I have to make adjustments when I sew blocks together. I cut them exactly right but when I go to put them together, they're not always exactly right (busy gremlins visiting in the night, I assume). I also sew my pieces together very carefully, only to find that I have a "pointless" point or my seams are off by a thread width or more. Again, it's gotta be the gremlins! If I press with an iron, it's almost impossible to make adjustments ... the crease made with the iron is a real problem (like the gremlins) so just finger pressing works very well for me until the quilt top is complete. And, yes, in spite of the gremlins, the end result has all the points and seams and measurements correct.

fish92241 07-16-2009 09:14 AM

These days I have to combat forgetfulness. So I have a system--if I remember to use it! I have a slip on bracelet next to the iron. When I turn on the iron, I put on the bracelet. When I turn off the iron, I take it off and put it back. If I'm running around later and see that I have on my bracelet, I check the iron and take off the bracelet.

imak 07-16-2009 11:44 AM

My DD bought me a Proctor Silex that stays on till you shut it off!
Steams nicely too!

imak

Lizzytish 07-16-2009 03:14 PM

Hi
My husband got me a black and decker iron for Christmas one year that has an automatic shut off feature. It will shut down after a certin amount of time and willnot turn back on until you lift it up.
It willbee when shutting down and beep when it has reached the set temp.
He too was afraid that I was going to burn the house down while we slept.

I too got a fun wake up call in the morning. :wink:

Liz

quiltluvr 07-16-2009 03:37 PM

I think they should be made with people motion detectors. If you're in the room with the iron, it's on. When you leave the room it shuts itself off.

Best of both worlds and safety wouldn't be an issue. At least in my world that's how it would work. :)

earthwalker 07-16-2009 04:38 PM

I try and work in blocks...turning the iron off in between. My iron doesn't shut off automatically, but beeps madly if you leave it for any length of time. I have the iron set up in the laundry room and usually sew on the dining room table, so hop up and stretch between "jobs" and if the iron takes a bit to warm up, its time to put the kettle on.

Does anyone use those mini irons? I have been tempted to splash out and buy one, but they are expensive and I think I may be inclined to forget it's there and give myself a nasty burn.