Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Iron on or Off in between sewing squares (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/iron-off-between-sewing-squares-t22673.html)

sharon b 07-17-2009 08:13 AM

I didn't realize my Rowenta didn't have a "shut-off" on it until this post :oops: And I had been leaving it plugged in :roll: Not anymore.. Thanks for all the help

kd124 07-17-2009 11:03 PM

I leave the iron on all the time when piecing and unplug when I leave.

pegquilter8 07-18-2009 05:23 AM

ON, always on. Yes it has auto shut-off. Onky takes a few secs to heat back up.

dizzy 07-18-2009 09:14 PM

i learned my lesson the first of november 2008 ihad forgot to shut mine off an it was the day my daughter got married i had got all my ironing done an we had the wedding next door at my brothers well after the said there vows an all my son comes back to house for something an found my iron laying flat on kitchen table an my hubby still hasn'tseen the iron print on table i try an keep something over it so i try an make sure it is off any more

Metanoia 07-18-2009 09:31 PM

I leave mine on when I am in the room, but turn it off every time I leave the room. The same power point is connected to a lamp as well, so I just turn off at the power point then I know it is off and safe if the lamp is off. It's a very old iron so I am pretty careful with it.

I don't know how this is effecting my power bills yet, but I only have it on when I am using it a lot. Once i am done with piecing it is rarely on unless I need it.

Franwinba 07-19-2009 11:09 AM

I don't turn my iron off while I am in the room working. However a few years ago I turned my iron Off and left the room. A couple of hours later I heard a popping sound coming from the sewing room. When I went to check I found the iron white hot and the sole plate was bubbled up. Now I unplug the Iron when I leave the room

bearisgray 07-19-2009 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Franwinba
I don't turn my iron off while I am in the room working. However a few years ago I turned my iron Off and left the room. A couple of hours later I heard a popping sound coming from the sewing room. When I went to check I found the iron white hot and the sole plate was bubbled up. Now I unplug the Iron when I leave the room

SCARY! Wash there any damage to anything else?

JCL in FL 07-19-2009 08:08 PM

Me too. On with an automatic off.

k3n 07-20-2009 03:40 AM

I recently bought two cordless irons from a local supermarket (Lidl - German and great quality). They were 15 euros each (around 20 USD).

You can either use them corded or cordless and they sit on a base unit with the heat plate protected. Cordless, you can iron for about a minute before they cool down which is great for pressing seams. When you put it back on the base unit, it heats up again in about 20 secs. You can also lock them to the base unit which is a great safety feature when the kids are around. I have one up in my sewing room, plugged into a switched socket specially installed by DH, and i switch it on when i go in there and off when i come out, almost without thinking about it! The one downstairs is for hubby shirts and doesn't get much use at all! :mrgreen:

Up North 07-20-2009 04:10 AM

Mine is on while I am in the sewing room. The cord goes across the door way so I am always singing "Skip A Rope" when I go to fill my coffee cup! I unplug it when I am done pressing all the pieces.