Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Iron question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/iron-question-t192360.html)

TanyaL 06-21-2012 10:30 AM

I have a Rowenta Professional made in Germany that I paid full price for at Hancock'sabout 8 years ago. It has been knocked off the ironing table several times by my dogs, I always use it on steam, has never leaked. It has enough steam that I can steam press drapes hanging on their rods at the window! Best iron I have ever owned.

lakekids 06-21-2012 12:51 PM

I have a Rowenta (not sure what the model is). I have not had a problem with it leaking. My model does not automatically shut off at all - and that is what I wanted. I got tired of the iron always being off when I went to use it.

EvelynJ 06-21-2012 01:06 PM

I too have a WalMart iron that I have had for a few years now, it's still working and does what I need it to do. It's a Proctor-Silex and when it finally dies I will buy another to replace it.

alikigirl 06-21-2012 01:19 PM

I just had to replace my Panasonic cordless iron because it was leaking water, and I got another one. The cordless is just great. I ordered it here http://www.abt.com/product/40855/Panasonic-NIL70SR.html

Lori S 06-21-2012 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA (Post 5306166)
Google user reviews on any iron you choose. The Rowenta has page after page of complaints; I imagine that the German-made vs. the Chinese-made is a factor in those complaints.
I gave mine up for a $20 plus purchase from Walmart and am happy. I'll just replace it yearly if I have to at that price.

I could not agree more , after having spent over $200.00 on two Rowenta's .. I am more than satisfied with my Walmart Black and Decker. If I really need alot more steam I just mist the fabric. So far by cheap iron has lasted as long as any of my Rowenta's.

gollytwo 06-21-2012 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA (Post 5306166)
Google user reviews on any iron you choose. The Rowenta has page after page of complaints; I imagine that the German-made vs. the Chinese-made is a factor in those complaints.
I gave mine up for a $20 plus purchase from Walmart and am happy. I'll just replace it yearly if I have to at that price.

My Rowenta was European made (I thought Swiss, not German but am probably wrong)
The temperature went in less than a year and my LQS couldn't get them to repair it.
I would never buy another Rowenta, regardless of where it was made.

jcrilley 06-21-2012 02:06 PM

I got one at Walmart for about 7-8 bucks. Works great - light weight - and best of all, when it starts giving me
trouble I can toss it without any guilt and get another one. I've had it over a year and no problems yet and I do
a lot of quilting!

Sewnoma 06-21-2012 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by alikigirl (Post 5306523)
I just had to replace my Panasonic cordless iron because it was leaking water, and I got another one. The cordless is just great. I ordered it here http://www.abt.com/product/40855/Panasonic-NIL70SR.html

I just got one of these last week and so far, loving it! Glides over the fabric nicely, no leaks, and best of all...no cord!

snipforfun 06-21-2012 04:23 PM

I gave up on Rowentas and switched to the Reliable 100. It was reliable for one year and stopped working. Had to send it to Canada ($$ shipping both ways). Got it back and within a week it was on its way back to Canada! Ive had it back about a month and so far so good. However since the weather has become so hot, I realized it is a "space heater"! So for the summer I have bought a cheap Black and Decker for $13. Through all this, I have had to have hand surgery and the Reliable has been too heavy for my poor old hands. Hopefully by the Fall I can start using the Reliable again. I really like that the auto off can be bypassed!

Jim's Gem 06-21-2012 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by quiltstringz (Post 5305405)
Here is my opinion - I had Rowenta for years, when the last one went that is what I automatically went for. I went through 2 in no time both leaked badly. I figured I wasn't going for a third time so I went with the Reliable V 100 and absolutely love it. Have had it for about 8 months (not long I know) but we do a lot of ironing! I long arm quilt so I iron backs and fronts of all of those - plus I have 2 groups that come over monthly (5 people) and my mom's senior group all comes over to iron and cut, so it gets a lot of use. I have a couple of friends who havd had theirs longer and they are still happy. It does have an auto shut off, but in the directions there is a way to turn that off. Unfortunately ours got thrown out and I haven't figured it out yet.

This is what I have and have been pretty happy with it! To shut off the auto shut-off hold the right button, with the steam emblem on it for a few seconds until it "beeps" Then it won't shut off on you. Cause I didn't read the direction real well, it took me a couple of months to learn how to shut it off, besides unplugging it!!!! It is a heavy iron, which I love (when my shoulders are being nice) Not everyone likes this heavy of an iron.