Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Ironing board cover? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ironing-board-cover-t281146.html)

quiltlady1941 08-08-2016 07:44 AM

well I got my answer.. HaHa.. some real good tips on to wash or not ... Thanks..

Now I don't feel so bad that I buy so many covers..Thanks

RedGarnet222 08-08-2016 07:45 AM

I have three to change them out when they need it. I made them all except one which is a silver metal type I like to use when piecing. It radiates the heat back up to hold the creases in better when I have to iron the seams open for tricky blocks.

joyce888 08-08-2016 08:41 AM

I made mine from the Teflon ironing board cloth. I usually just wipe it down with an old terry cloth until it comes clean. I got the crazy idea to wash it in the machine; it didn't shrink but the cloth was so wrinkled that I had to iron it several times and it doesn't look like it's going to hold up very well.

IrishgalfromNJ 08-08-2016 12:03 PM

Thanks for reminding me, it's time to make a new cover for my ironing board. I just ordered three yards of a couple of pretty blue fabrics from Marshall's Dry Goods. I bought a little extra to go into my scrappy quilts I'm making.

Bree123 08-08-2016 12:42 PM

I've never had any luck with washing them. I do buy the reversible covers as they are only 50% more, but last twice as long (since you can flip them over when one side gets too grimy). I use a LOT of starch, so I have taken to tossing a sheet over the ironing board so the cover doesn't get too grimy. I used to iron freezer paper onto my ironing board when working with fusible products, but then I got some instructions about that it's better to iron on a flat piece of wood, covered with a brown grocery sack. So that's what I do now. I take a shelf out of a cheapy organizer & tape a cut-up paper grocery bag to it, then use that for ironing any fusible. My pieces come out perfect & if the paper bag gets grimy, I just tear it off & tape on a new one.

I'm so inspired by all the people here who make their own ironing board covers. I'm thinking of doing that next time. I want to design some patchwork fabric for Spoonflower to use. Think that would look so fun!

Onebyone 08-08-2016 06:54 PM

I fuse any unwanted fabric on top of the old cover surface. When it gets too many layers then I'll buy a new cover. I use Heat n Bond Ultra.

Dina 08-08-2016 07:00 PM

I "sort" of make a new cover fairly often. I just use safety pins and pin flat fabric on the ironing board. I like purple fabric on my ironing board, to match the rest of my sewing room. Sometimes I decide I want to use the fabric and just wash it and put it in a quilt. The pins are on the underside of the board and aren't visible. Easy and lazy....:)

Dina

MaggieLou 08-09-2016 05:05 AM

I guess I'm the odd one here. I usually wash mine. I haven't had any problems with it fitting after washing. I only buy a new one if mine gets badly discolored from starch or ironing stains.

jothesewer2 08-09-2016 06:28 AM

I buy 1-1/2 yards of the silver tone fabric from Joann's which will make 3 ironing board covers. I use the old cover for a pattern but I make it shorter at the large end by about 4", then I sew a piece on the narrow edge so it will stay hooked over the end. I turn up the edges all way around and stitch, then I use safety pins and pin it to the old thick pad in this hem, it holds better and won't pull the pins through the fabric. When it gets nasty I toss it and make a new one. By cutting it shorter it is enough for 3 covers. Works for me.
I like everyones ideas. Thanks

FoxyLady 08-09-2016 06:48 AM

I make my covers out of regular canvas. These covers seem to resist scorching and do a great job when ironing or pressing. I used the old cover for a pattern. To make a drawstring easier, just use pre-folded bias tape on the outer edge of the cover, then use a small safety pin to pull the string through.