Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Ironing board cover? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ironing-board-cover-t281146.html)

quiltlady1941 08-07-2016 09:20 PM

Ironing board cover?

I was wonder how many of you wash your ironing board cover...crazy question I know..

It seems mine get to looking pretty bad after just a few months and then I am tempted to buy a new one.. I get more burn marks from to hot of a iron or leaving it on the board to long..I end up putting a cotton towel over it and pinning it under the board.

when I do wash it, it usually comes out all distorted and I have a hard time putting it back on, I end up buying a new one anyway.. LOL

So how many of you wash your cover or just get a new one..

Funny question I know

Cari-in-Oly 08-07-2016 10:09 PM

I make a new one every few years.

Cari

DOTTYMO 08-07-2016 10:21 PM

I must admit I just buy a new one.

QuiltnNan 08-08-2016 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly (Post 7621929)
I make a new one every few years.

Cari

me too. i have used the old one as a pattern to make a new one. i've also just sewn a clean piece of fabric to the old one because i didn't want to mess with the draw cord. sometimes i see an ironing board in the thrift store and the price is less than buying a new cover

ljptexas 08-08-2016 04:33 AM

I really need to make a new one! Present one looks soooo sad... Don't get it out very often. Hate to iron (except in sewing room)! My Mom used to love to iron. I remember when a kid, she'd iron for public ($1.25 a dozen-stiff white dress shirts, blue jeans with crease in front) just to give us little change money... I have a hamper my Dad made that is full. Ugh!!! If able today, she'd be doing it but she has severe demenutia (misspelled)... Love her...

joe'smom 08-08-2016 04:47 AM

I keep a muslin or flannel cover cloth on mine and just wash that. They get saturated with Best Press and become stiff as a board.

Onebyone 08-08-2016 04:56 AM

One tip if you do wash it. Don't dry it, put it on the board wet. It's easier to put on and tighten. Once dry it will form a tight fit.

marge954 08-08-2016 05:40 AM

I usually buy one. Recently I have started using large binder clips to clip a beach towel to the ironing board. The beach towel doesn't cover the point of the board so that's where I sit the iron down. I wash the towel each week when I do laundry.

GailG 08-08-2016 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by joe'smom (Post 7622076)
I keep a muslin or flannel cover cloth on mine and just wash that. They get saturated with Best Press and become stiff as a board.

I buy a fresh cover -- the plain white canvas-type cloth. When I use starch, I spread a clean piece of muslin over the ironing board to protect the cover. Then I can throw that piece of muslin in the wash.

ManiacQuilter2 08-08-2016 06:08 AM

I have one of those larger rectangle June Taylor ironing covers with the padding so I am not sure if they are washable. Using Tartan's suggestion of putting freezer paper on when starching!